Shannon Welch: Obama campaign intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Shannon is more than your typical political science major (with a trés impressive French minor). This 20-year-old sophomore from Westlake, Ohio is taking her love of politics beyond the classroom. Not only is she the acting president and president elect of the College Democrats of Ohio, but she is also a Spring Fellow for the Obama Campaign. This means she is an official intern for President Obama’s re-election campaign. She is working with groups in Athens and has gotten major attention from the central Obama campaign and the Commander-in-Chief himself!

How long have you been working with/for the Democratic Party?
Welch: I have been a volunteer for the Democratic Party since 2008, when I was a senior in high school. I volunteered for the Obama campaign, making phone calls and canvassing with my dad. I couldn’t vote so it was very important to me to be taking some kind of action. When I got to school I joined the Ohio University College Democrats and have been a part of their organization ever since.

What other political organizing do you do on campus?
Welch: I worked very hard for the repeal of Senate Bill 5 with the We Are Ohio campaign in the fall. I have also collected signatures to help prevent the passage of a voter suppression law. I am a part of the Women’s Affairs Commission on Student Senate. We worked to organize Sex Week, a week about empowerment for women, and Take Back the Night, a week about sexual violence awareness and prevention. 

Why do you think it is important to get political issues out to students?
Welch: Helping to educate students about political issues has been such a passion of mine because politics affects us all whether we notice it or not, so to be engaged with what is happening is the first step towards being able to help shape what is happening in our lives. 

What can students do to get involved in the Obama re-election in the Athens area?
Welch: They can go to the Students for Obama meetings (Monday at 8PM in Bentley 205) or they can stop at the Obama for America office at 8 N Court St Rm 313 (the building with Fluff and Pita Pit) to find out more about volunteer opportunities. Right now, they can receive a volunteer special access pass to the Obama rally that is going to be on Saturday, May 5 at the Schottenstein Center in Columbus if they stop into the office and complete one volunteer shift! There are so many great opportunities and I would love to see more people get involved! 

Photos courtesy of Shannon Welch

Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.