This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Having a long term boyfriend is an exciting experience. They can be your first “everything” and most importantly, they can be your first love. But, along with a long term relationship comes the future. And in some cases college.  Some couples are fortunate enough to go to the same school, while others just can’t really help that they must go their separate ways. However, going separate ways doesn’t always mean you HAVE to break up. In fact, for those couples who are just too in love, that’s the last option. Sometimes, having a boyfriend at school can be just as difficult as having a boyfriend away. Here are two cases demonstrating both sides:

Case #1: The at school boyfriend

Case example: Macie Moneypenny

Zach and I started our relationship at the end of our senior year of high school after we had already decided on our colleges and it just so happened to work in our favor. We have currently been dating for over a year now. He’s my first real boyfriend and really first “everything,” so we had no plans of going our separate ways when we came here. Being sophomores, we survived our first full year together and had a great time. Now, having experienced a year in college together, it comes with its pros and cons.

Pros:

• Able to hangout whenever
  • Someone to count on and have your back
  • Able to CUDDLE, duh
  • Not much to worry about 
  • Actually being with him
  • Not missing out on each other’s lives and growing stronger each day

Cons:

• Easier to get mad when he doesn’t want to hang out
  • When he wants to hang out with his friends instead of you
  • Always wondering what the other is up to when not together on a night out
  • Missing out on some good times with friends

Case #2: The away boyfriend

Case example: Meghan O’Dea

Michael and I have been together off and on for two and a half years. We’ve recently been “on” since these past five months and things have been better than ever. We’ve realized that we’re definitely happier together versus apart. Just like Macie’s relationship, Michael is my first real boyfriend. After spending a whole summer together, it felt impossible for us to part. So here we are, trying the long distance thing out, with absolutely no intentions of things going haywire. As most of you can imagine, long distance isn’t exactly the BEST option, but it is doable.

(Meghan and Michael)

Pros:

• Not having to worry about our schedules lining up
  • Spending more time with friends
  • More excited when you see him
  • Looking forward to phone calls every day
  • Teaching yourself to be happy without him being present
  • Having to find trust

Cons:

• Having to go long periods of time without seeing him
  • Not really knowing his life
  • Fear of growing apart/meeting someone new
  • Difficult to coordinate visiting each other

If you’re in college or well on your way, these are just some things to think about. Whether coming into it with a boyfriend or parting ways with the love of your life. But regardless, college can be the best four years of your life and the chance to really find yourself. No matter what, don’t let a boyfriend stop you from doing you! Good luck, collegiates!

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!