Rupauls Drag Race Season 15 Episode 1: A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Rupauls Drag Race has been on for 15 seasons!! This season follows 16 queens competing for the crown and for $200,000. The stakes are high and the competition is hotter than ever before.

The Queens

This season features 16 queens who came out in the work round in two rounds. In the first round there were eight girls and in the second there were eight as well. Listed below is the order that the queens came out in and a little bio on them.

Group 1: Irene Dubois from Texas but then moved to Seattle Washington! She describes her drag as “Alien Drag.” Luxx Noir London was next and she is from New Jersey and considers herself a superstar. Aura Mayari is from Nashville Tenessee who says she is a “Filipina dancing goddess” and is a combination of Beyonce, Rhianna, and Justin Bieber. Next up was Marcia Marcia Marcia who is a queen from New York City. Her character is inspired by the Brady Bunch and she is the “preppy prom queen and class president.” Fifth to come out was Anetra from Las Vegas and she says her drag is “sexy glamorous.” Malaysia was next and she is the first queen from Miami to be on Rupauls Drag Race. She says her drag is “fat. funny, and fabulous.” Second to last was Princess Poppy from San Fransisco. She is a princess fairy tale queen who went TikTok viral. Last in the first group was Sasha Colby from Los Angeles. Sasha is the first trans woman to ever be on drag race.

Group 2: First up was Salina EsTitties who is from Los Angeles. Salina described her drag as “Ghetto Superstar” and said she is a comedy queen. Amethyst was next in the room, she is from Connecticut and went TikTok viral. Amethyst describes her drag as Y2K and she is a comedy queen. Third was Jax from Connecticut also who considers herself the “Simone Biles of drag.” A veteran Connecticut drag queen: Loosey LaDuca was next to enter the workroom. Loosey’s main talents are her live singing and quick wit. Fifth was Miss Mistress Isabelle Brooks from Houston, Texas and described her drag as “big, beautiful, and glamorous.” Robin Fierce from Connecticut was next describing her drag as “confident, regal, bad-bitchery.” The final two queens came out in a pair as they are the first set of twins in drag race to compete: Sugar and Spice. Now they both will be competing separately but they are twins from Los Angeles and got their fame from TikTok. Sugar and Spice claim that their drag was inspired off of dolls, Spice taking a more Bratz Dolls look and Sugar taking a more Barbie doll look.

With this group of queens many firsts have been made: first Trans Woman to compete, first queen from Miami to compete, a few queens were the first viral TikTok queens seen, and the first pair of twins to compete. This season also features the first episode having someone be cut, unlike in Season 14.

Mini Challenge

There were two mini challenges for the two groups but they all had a similar concept which was modeling to be photographed. Group ones challenge was modeled directly off of Season ones first challenge which was to take photos while being sprayed with water. The winner of group ones challenge was Irene Dubois. The second group was challenged to take photos while a fan blew at them with high speeds and leaves/feathers were sprinkled at them. This was modeled after season twos first mini challenge. The winner of group twos mini challenge was Loosey LaDuca.

Maxi Challenge

The maxi challenge for this weeks episode was to star in a talent show and dance number called “One Night Only.” The title is a play on words with how one queen will only be staying for one night only due to the elimination. This challenge featured dance numbers, singing, lip-syncing, comedy, and some fails.

Special Guest Stars

The special guest stars of this episode were Ariana Grande and Vivacious. Vivacious only made a brief appearance at the beginning of the episode to welcome group two into the work room while Ariana welcomed group one in Vivacious’ iconic Ornacia outfit and was also the guest star judge. The other judges consisted of the routine Michelle Visage, Ross Matthews, and Rupaul himself.

CATEGORY is: Who is she

One of my favorite looks of the night was Marcia Marcia Marcia in the plaid skirt suit that looked retro with baby blue and pops of yellow. The innocent little pom pom earrings and the bow gave me preppy 1950s high schooler. It fits her character and her aesthetic, it really told us who she was. Malaysia was another one I loved, the white rhinestoned dress just looked so ethereal, she looked like a genuine angel on earth. Sasha Colby wowed me with her look, especially the giant red bedazzled headpiece that I just can not get enough of. The outfit was sweet and sultry and just showed us who Sasha is. My final favorite look was by Mistress Isabella Brooks, I just found this outfit so fascinating because it represented where she was from and honestly was the definition of Texas cowgirl glamor. Even though Dolly is not from Texas, I could definitely see Dolly wearing this red and gold sequined cowgirl outfit with the matching hat and boots.

A special mention is Loosey LaDucas look which was inspired by Brittney Spears flight attendant look.

The winner

Anetra won this episode!

Who Lipsynched

Amethyst and Irene Dubois lip-synced to special guest star Ariana Grandes “7 Rings.” Honestly, neither of them really impressed me with their lip-synching skills but I think RuPaul made the right decision on who to send home.

Who went home

Irene Dubois was the first queen to be sent home.

Who I think will be in the top four

I think my girl Marcia Marcia Marcia will be in the top four of course! Currently I also think Jax will be too because she turned it out for the first challenges and the runway (even though it wasn’t one of my favorites, it definitely was true to her). I believed Loosey LaDuca will make it to the end because of her amount of experience in the drag field. Last but not least, I like Malaysia is someone to look out for too during this season, she seems determined and is full of spunk and personality!

Hi! I am Maddie and I am from Kent. I love crystals, plants, music, and I am really into chakra cleansing. I hike and do yoga during my free time! My major is music education and my dream job is to be an elementary music teacher. I am in a treble ensemble called Bella Voce, a music fraternity called Sigma Alpha Iota, and Nafme!