#RadioInternProblems: A Summer Intern’s Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

This summer I interned for CBS Radio in Cleveland. I was part of the “Street Team,” assisting the station with promotions. Working at a radio station is one of the craziest experiences I’ve ever encountered. Walking into the office, I didn’t know what to expect–no day was the same. Yet I walked in day after day ready for any task they would throw at me.

Being part of the Street Team meant dealing with the public. We would attend concerts, local events and on-air appearances. There was the normal drunken hug, the one you can smell coming from 50 feet away, and the typical downer complaining about their free prize. But each person was a new story and a new memory. Meeting the listeners was interesting and exciting. Hearing that meeting us made their day was such a heart-warming experience.

Then there was going into the station–a surreal experience I wouldn’t trade for the world. My tasks ranged from writing a press release to riding my razor scooter down the hall seeking out someone to help. One day I would be sending out prizes and writing blogs for the website, like a usual intern, then the next I’d be in my blazer and heels ripping a decal sticker off the entire station van. Not to mention it was 98 degrees that day, and the task took more than two hours–I had blisters on my hands for two weeks.

Though the experience was not what I was expecting, it was an experience of a lifetime. I made some great friends, had some of the best bosses in the world and learned more than I could ever imagine. I’ve never learned so much and had that much fun at the same time. I want to thank my team at CBS Radio for the best summer I’ve ever had.

Taylor is a graduate of Ohio University and former Co-Editor of Her Campus' OU branch. She would like to eventually work in the publishing industry with hopes of living in New York, San Francisco or Seattle. In her free time, Taylor enjoys reading, volunteering, or hitting up the most hipster joints in town.