Post-Grad Options If You Don’t Have A Job Lined Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

For anyone who says your last semester of college is a breeze… you are WRONG. Senior year is stressful. From classes, to job applications and even attending interviews, the last few weeks are extremely busy. If you are like me, and still don’t have a full-time job, you are not alone. However, there are plenty of options of how to survive post-grad life until you find a job with benefits and a solid income.   

1. Another Internship Getting another internship is never a bad idea. After graduation it is more important to be busy and working in some form. Having your foot in the door at any company is always a great way to make connections and improve your resume and portfolio. In most cases, internships offer full-time positions after a well-performed internship. In fact, most internships are paid, so it’s a win-win situation. 

2. Freelance Writing, Social Media and More Doing freelance work, especially for marketing and journalism majors, is huge nowadays. Most companies allow you to work from home, do excellent work, and then receive paychecks for specific work. It’s an excellent way to make a living and also make connections with a company. Working from home allows you flexibility with your schedule, and gives you the time to look for a full-time job as well. 

3. Part-time Job  While filling out applications and going to full-time position interviews getting a part-time job, or two, helps pay the bills. No one really wants to go back to folding clothes at Abercrombie, but if you receive a paycheck, it’s always a short-term option. Also, getting your bartending license or being a waitress actually pays very well. Also, when you do receive a full-time position, if you need extra income, continuing to work at your part-time job on weekends or nights is always an option. 

4. Travel You have just worked your butt off for the past four years, now it’s time to see the world. If you are like me, fitting in a study-abroad program didn’t work, but that doesn’t mean you don’t want to travel. If you are not hired yet, take the time to explore the world for a few weeks, then come back with a fresh mind and motivated to kick ass and find a job! 

Happy job hunting season, seniors!   

Ohio University Class of 2018 Strategic Communications  Just a small town girl with big city dreams