An Open Letter to My Future Husband

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Run…Run as fast as you can…

Just kidding. I swear I’m not that bad. I mean once you get past the point of my excessive breakdowns, schemes to find out where you are and what you’re doing every second of your life, and texts on texts on texts when your replies take over 30 minutes… I promise that, by then, you’ll think I’m pretty awesome.  

Okay, maybe that was a bit exaggerated. Or maybe not… but, whatever, the bottom line is that you just found the one and only girl who will love you to the moon and back. (Listen, I know that’s some cheesy, old saying but in all honesty, the moon is 238,900 miles away) and I can guarantee you that I will love you with everything I have.

Ever since I was a little girl, I envisioned myself living the fairy tale life; celebrating my wedding the most beautiful way possible, in Europe, of course. Or maybe on the sandy beaches of Greece, or in an ancient/incredible cathedral in Prague, or in a totally chic park in London! Okay, okay, maybe my dreams are a little bit too big. I guess a nice church in the area will do, as long as my bridesmaids’ are dressed head to toe in Balmain (not trying to be Kim Kardashian or anything, but, hey, if the shoe fits!) But, when it all comes down to it, my dream wedding really only needs one specific thing: you.

GIF: tumblr.com

I can only hope that our relationship has grown to be exactly what you’ve always wanted. I hope you’re able to look at me and think, “That’s the girl I want to be with for the rest of my life.” I hope you want to tell your family all about me and I especially hope they love me even half as much as I love you. I don’t want to be the only part of your life, I want to be the part of your life that you always look forward to. I want to be able to cheer you up by making you your favorite dinner dish (and no, that is not a shot at the way women are supposed to feel treated), or give you a back massage if you’ve had a rough day and just need to unwind. I want to kiss you goodbye every day and know that I can look forward to around 5 o’clock when I hear the garage door open and immediately become excited to see your fantastic face.

I never want to ask you for too much. Or hold you up to standards that aren’t realistic. I just want to love you the best that I can and I promise you that my love for you will never waiver. And I don’t just mean in a romantic way. You’re my best friend. You’ve been with me through it all. Hell, you’ve seen me on my worst days when it’s that time of the month and all I want to do is binge on both ice cream and Grey’s Anatomy. (I promise I’ll never think Patrick Dempsey is hotter than you.) That’s how I know you’re the one for me. No one else could ever put up with my crazy and silly antics, or my obnoxious burps when you decide you want Mexican for dinner, and even if someone could deal with it all, I wouldn’t want them to. Why? Because, I want you. And I love you. And I promise to love you every second for the rest of our lives.

GIF: tumblr.com

After all, what fairy tale doesn’t have a happy ending? 

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano