Life > Experiences

An Open Letter To My Former Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Hey. I miss you. All of our last-minute sleepovers, our lunch dates, our walking the school halls together. I miss it. I’m sorry for the way things turned out for us. I’m sorry that our friendship ended. Maybe it was for the best, or maybe not. We did have some pretty fun times together so it’s hard to say that our falling out could be a good thing. 

I won’t put the blame on anyone or anything, because a lot of factors went into it. People change. I changed, you changed, we grew out of each other I guess. I wish it would have worked out for us in the end. I wish we could have stayed best friends through the whirlwind that is high school. But we didn’t, and I’m learning that it’s okay. Although I can’t lie, it makes me sad to think about how much fun we had together. 

I want to say thank you for a couple of things. First, thank you for loving me through my awkward middle school years, those were hard enough, I’m thankful to have had you by my side through that phase of life. And thank you for always giving me a place to stay the night when I wanted a little escape from home. And that extends to your family as well, thank you for treating me like I was your own, your house became my second home and I’m so grateful for that. And one more; thank you for the memories. I find myself reminiscing on times we shared together that used to bring me joy to think back on but now with a small ache in my heart. We had so much fun together, and I thank you for all of it, I don’t regret any of it for a second even though our friendship ended up this way. 

I also want to say that I’m sorry. I’m sorry for anything I did that caused our friendship to end. For any time I wasn’t a very good best friend. And I’m sorry I couldn’t fix things or make our friendship work. 

I hope that whoever took my place knows how lucky she is to have you as her best friend. I hope what happens to us doesn’t happen with her. People aren’t lying when they say friend breakups hurt too. I know it hurt me a lot. Is it wrong if I say I hope it hurt you too, just a little? 

Basically what I’m trying to say is that though our friendship didn’t turn out the way we had hoped, I appreciate it and you and all you did for me. All of the big things and the little things, I am grateful for it all. 

If you happen to see this, I want you to know I’ll always love you and have a place for you. And if you’re ever feeling nostalgic, or like you need an old friend to talk to, or just want to tell me you read this, you know where to find me. 

Lindsey Osterfeld is currently a junior studying journalism, strategic communication, at Ohio University and adding a social media certificate. She is also the Twitter Manager for Ohio U's chapter of Her Campus. When she is not writing or studying, she can be found watching TV shows like Friends and One Tree Hill, and spending time with her friends and family.