The Only Things You Should Pack for Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

I came to OU as an out-of-state student from a small town Avon, Connecticut – a place that’s either a 12-hour drive or a two-hour flight away from Athens. (Yes, I know that sounds crazy, but I really loved OU!) The hardest part wasn’t having to travel; the toughest thing was having to figure out what the heck I was going to put in my suitcase.

GIF: giphy.com

Knowing that many of my personal belongings were going to be left in a different state pressured me to pack everything. Luckily, I’ve learned what I should and shouldn’t pack!

If you also happen to be from far, far away from home like me, then here is all you’ll need for winter break:

1. Clothes for a week.

Photo: stylizedexistence.com

A perk of finally going home means better laundry service (no more running out of bobcat cash or pulling wet clothes straight out of the dryer). Since you’ll be able to wash your clothes more often, you won’t need as many. Make sure you have something nice to wear for holiday festivities and plenty of basics. Just remember to bring a coat!

Some suggestions:

• 1 day-to-night dress or cute outfit

• 2 pairs of pants

• 4 blouses

• 2 pairs of shoes

• workout clothes

• 2 pairs of pajamas

• 1 skirt

• 1 winter coat

• 1 week’s worth of socks and undergarments

• 1 scarf

•  

HINT: List-making is a productive study break activity!

2. Everyday beauty.

Photo: polyvore.com

Don’t worry about this if you aren’t obsessed with makeup and beauty, but if you love beauty products. It’s important to consolidate. A good rule of thumb is to only pack your everyday products (foundation, concealer, lip balm, primer, mascara, eyeliner, skincare treatments, makeup brushes, hair products, etc.), and include one statement product such as a lipstick or smoky eye kit.

3. No pencils, no books.

Photo: goodhealth.co.nz

Everything school-related except your computer should stay in Athens. You’ve worked your butt off this whole semester, and break time means you should relax!

4. Stuff to do.

Photo: imgbuddy.com 

If you are going to be traveling for a long period of time, you’ll definitely crave lots of entertainment. Purchase a couple of books or magazines ahead of time or download plenty of music and Netflix shows if you prefer to avoid paying outrageous airport prices for things to do.

5. Room for shopping bags!

Photo: hercampus.com

For everything Athens has to offer, it lacks in shopping. When you’re home for winter break, you’ll have plenty of shopping to catch up on. Nothing is worse than having to ship a new pair of shoes (or any other piece of clothing for that matter) to Athens, so save room!

GIF: giphy.com

Side note: I remember buying a lot when I went home for my first winter break. Since I already over-packed, I flew back to school having to pay an extra 90 dollars to get my luggage on the plane. That was awful because, I mean, let’s be real, I had already done a lot of damage to my wallet from so much shopping… Forever 21 and I just had to reunite!

(Main photo: layoverguide.com)

Sophia Borghese is a Strategic Communications major at Ohio University. She is always excited to write stuff for Her Campus.  Sophia has writen for her university's fashion magazine, Thread, for over three years, and loves to write beauty related articles the most. Many of the makeup looks in the magazine are done by her as well. Most people associate her with bright lipstick, and her Instagram account Sophia Makeup Artistry. She loves to stalk great makeup artists, read up on the latest beauty trends and shop at Sephora whenever she can.  Alongside her interests in beauty, she is obsessed with sushi, pugs, Madonna and her favorite band Incubus.  Professionally speaking, she wants to continue to be a makeup artist, and work as a freelance beauty writer while partaking in the beauty PR world. 
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano