This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

A lot happens to college freshmen their first semester. They learn how to live on their own, earn a sense of independence, try to figure out time management, join clubs, make new friends, and overcome challenges they have never faced before.   

I experienced all of those aspects throughout my first semester in college.  Thus, going home and knowing that I am not the same person I was months ago is a feeling I have never quite felt before.   

Only going home once made me understand myself better because my parents were not constantly giving me advice on what I should do, how I should talk, etc.  I also was able to understand how to overcome challenges I may not have normally faced on my own. such as remembering to do my laundry at least every two weeks, managing study time and a social life, and just living on my own.  This made me stronger overall and I became more confident in myself and my abilities. When I went home, I didn’t feel like I needed my home as much as I used to.  I got used to living on my own and I understood that even when my parents were not physically with me they were still supporting me.    

However, at the same time I did miss a lot and definitely felt pampered when I went home over Thanksgiving.

These are some things that I loved about my one trip home!

The smell of freshly baked bread and mashed potatoes wafting up my nose on the morning of Thanksgiving was definitely a feeling needed after a long first semester

Cuddling with my dog near our warm fireplace in our family room while my parents watched TV

Being able to drive wherever I wanted and not having to check bus schedules  

Sleeping in a large bed where I could toss and turn to my heart’s desire without having to worry about falling off my lofted bed  

Laughing and talking with my brother for hours  

Getting never-ending hugs from my family  

Seeing old friends and hearing their experiences at college  

Always having home cooked meals available to me and not having to go to a dining hall  

Getting my haircut for the first time since the beginning of the semester  

Walking around my small town and going shopping in the many cute boutiques  

Hiking in the trails in my backyard  

Having good well-filtered water  

Having a clean bathroom that I only share with one other person, not 20  

Not having to walk up multiple large hills a day  

Getting a normal amount of sleep  

Always being surrounded by family and not having to call them because they were sitting right next to me    

I missed home my first semester of college but I don’t regret it and I am happy that I had the privilege to have I experienced so much.   

A passionate storyteller
Ohio University 2017 Alumna Communication Studies major | Business minor | Social Media certificate Qnary | Client Success Manager Some Good Wine | Event and Marketing Director Delta Zeta Alumna | Public Relations Advisor Her Campus | Chapter Advisor and past Campus Correspondent PRSSA | Mentor Living my best life in NYC.