Ohio University Reclaims Title of No. 1 Party School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Ohio University has been known for many years as the number one party school in the nation. We held the number one spot under the Princeton Review until we recently fell to spot 13 on its 2015 Top Party School list. But never fear Bobcats, because Playboy just published its own list of the top party schools in the nation and guess who was number one? Ohio University.

Ohio University did not even make the 2014 Top 10 Party School list, but we managed to knock out last year’s number one Title-holder, University of Pennsylvania, who did not make it into the 2015 Top 10 list. Falling shortly behind OU is University of Iowa, Florida State University, Tulane University, and University of Illinois.

So how did we manage to make it from not even being in the top 10 to the number one spot? Playboy editors created the list based on the criteria of “access to nightlife and musical events, and creativity when planning social gatherings,” and a reader’s poll. Playboy said Ohio University made the number one cut based on our year-round activities including our famous “HallOUeen” block party, the 18 bars that stretch down Court Street, as well as Bong Hill and Fest Season.

When it was released that we had taken our “Number One Party School” title back, there was a mix of emotions. Was this title a good thing, or a bad one? I can personally say that whether we are in the number one spot or not, I am proud to be a Bobcat! But it got me thinking about the pros and cons of going to a school known as a party school.

Pros:

1. The nightlife and parties are pretty awesome

We didn’t make the list for no reason. With 18 different bars to choose from on Court Street, and the huge block parties such as HallOUween and Number Fest, you can always count on something fun to be going on.

1. You meet SO many people

With going to such a social school, you have so many opportunities to meet new people. You not only meet tons of people, but so many different types of people. That’s one of the great things about OU; there is a little bit of everything here.

1. An outlet for stress

As all college students can relate, college is stressful. Going to a party school allows you to blow off some steam after a stressful week of classes and homework. What a better way to relax than a cold one with a group of your friends?

Cons:

1. The judgment that comes with saying you go to a party school

Most OU students have probably experienced this at least once. Whenever you tell someone you go to Ohio University they automatically assume all you do is party, when in reality OU is so much more than that.

1. Finding the balance between work and play

This is a challenge most freshmen have to overcome. Finding a balance of going out with your friends, but still getting your school work done is difficult, especially when one is more fun than the other. Once you find the balance you can totally make it work, but you may make a few mistakes along the way.

1. The pressure of living up to the party-school standard

Some people who aren’t big partiers may feel the pressure to live up to the party school standard in fear if they don’t that no one will like them. This fear is totally understandable, but as I mentioned above, Ohio University is way more than its party school title. You meet so many different people who like a variety of things; you will definitely find the place you belong.

Paige is a student studying Journalism, Social Media, and Women's Studies at Ohio University. She is actively involved with Her Campus Ohio U and Thread Magazine. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @paige__rochelle (two underscores!)