This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

In the past two years, TikTok has emerged as one of the top social media apps in the world. Generating millions of dollars and bringing about a new group of influencers, TikTok has a stronghold on pop culture. By now, mostly everyone uses or at least knows what TikTok is and how the platform works. In case any of you don’t, it is simply a video app that you can make any type of video up to 3 minutes long. Shorter than Youtube videos but much longer than Vine, TikTok has become the happy medium. This content platform has created a new generation of influencers, that mostly are referred to as “TikTokers”. 

Now, usually what you would expect of a “TikToker,” is for them to just make their content on the app. Whether it’s videos of themselves lip-synching or doing trend dances, TikTokers aren’t known for making music. Until now.

Influencers like Dixie D’Amelio, Nessa Barrett, Bella Poarch, Addison Rae and so many more have decided to try their hands in the music industry. Each releasing several singles, suddenly every TikToker has a singing ability. 

In a sense, I get it, they need to stay relevant and expand their careers. But not every single TikToker has to have a singing career. There wouldn’t be a problem if the music was decently good. It’s all either lifeless pop music or a poor replication of the pop-punk genre (I’m talking to you Lil Huddy) and it all seems to be manufactured to be believable. 

You cannot tell me that all of these people had originally planned to be songwriters and singers. It’s very clear that they all jumped on the bandwagon with music-making. It’s painfully obvious there is heavy autotune in many of their songs. Of course, most artists do use autotune to some extent, but it’s just so in your face that you can hear it.

It’s become so easy to make anyone a pop star, and it’s taking over the music industry. It’s not authentic, and it’s glaringly clear of that. You can easily get 7 people to write a song for you and use technology to change your voice to become a singer. 

At the end of the day, they can absolutely do whatever they want to. I just think not every single TikTok influencer needs to suddenly become some pop star. It will always be around, there’s no changing that, but perhaps maybe we could get some good song out of it.

Amy is currently a junior at Ohio University. She is majoring in journalism strat comm and is the PR Chief for Thread Magazine, Instagram manager for HerCampus and work for 1804Communication. In her free time she loves to explore new places with her friends, spend time with her boyfriend and go to concerts and museums.