This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

We all know her and love her…Ohio University’s Journalism 1330 professor, Journalism adviser and SPJ (Society of Professional Journalists) adviser…

Nerissa Young!

Young’s organization, SPJ, has recently won The National Campus Chapter of the Year award. Ohio University was recognized for winning such an award once in 2014 and now again this past September. SPJ clearly did a whole lot to receive such an award.

“This was a chapter effort led by our executive board. We had resume critique, resume design, basics of journalism workshops. We sponsored the annual ‘Grammar Smackdown’ competition with cash prizes for the top three teams. We had a delegation attend the Region 4/5 SPJ Conference at University of Cincinnati. We had a workshop to taking photos with two professional photojournalists,” Young listed off just a few incredible things that set Ohio University’s SPJ apart from any other SPJ chapter.

This year, Ohio University’s SPJ has even more in mind.

Young stated that, “We hope to repeat as chapter of the year. Right now, the chapter is working on a puppy calendar fundraiser with half the proceeds to go toward the Ross County Animal Shelter. The chapter is also planning a charity benefit lip sync battle. The winning team determines which charity receives the money. We’ve already hosted 9/11 photographer David Handschuh and the Freedom Sings band.” Looks like SPJ is going to be crazy busy this year!

Young was very pleased with her chapter for working so hard to receive this award. In her own words, winning this award means that “it affirms the quality of students and work being done at the journalism school and that it deserves its reputation as one of the top 10 j-schools in the country.”

Go SPJ!

(Both photos courtesy of Nerissa Young) 

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!