Life > Experiences

From National Geographic to Ohio University: Julie Agnone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Julie Agnone, a professor at Ohio University and past employee of National Geographic, described herself in a tell-all interview with Her Campus Ohio U.

This remarkable woman, originally from Washington D.C., started at National Geographic in an entry-level position, and made her way from secretary to writer to researcher to editor. Agnone also worked as operations person, CD-rom producer, and executive editor of National Geographic Kids.

Nat Geo Kids was what she called her biggest achievement at National Geographic. In 2000 when she began, Agnone could see the potential of Nat Geo Kids. During her time there, she completely revamped the section, and her hard work paid off big time. Nat Geo made changes to their design and marketing and worked to create a more kid-friendly magazine.  It was definitely an exciting time. 

One of Agnone’s favorite memories at the magazine was the centennial party in 1988. Agnone described it as an “extravaganza.” She met famous explorers, past editors and many more amazing individuals. She also said that another reason she loved National Geographic was because everyday she learned something new, not to mention she loved the people she worked with. They were like her second family. The only thing Agnone wasn’t too fond of was her roughly one-hour commute. 

Agnone is also a member of several journalism societies: American Society of Magazine Editors; the Association of Educational Publishers; and the Society of American Travel Writers.

Eventually she and her husband, whom she met at National Geographic, decided it was time for a change. Her husband is originally from Athens, and they both wanted a chance to give back and teach the skills they had learned. Agnone said she was very attracted to Ohio University and the beautiful town of Athens.

Currently, Agnone is teaching two magazine features writing courses and a magazine editing and producing class. Her husband is teaching photo editing in the School of Visual Communication. She was also hoping to start a nonfiction children’s storytelling class.

Agnone says her favorite part about working for the jschool is the students. “They are very dedicated and hardworking.” Her students absolutely love Agnone and they always come to class ready to learn. The most important advice to her students is to keep learning and get as many skills as you can every day.

Ohio University Contributor Account