This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Recently, I’ve become obsessed with watching morning and night routines on TikTok. Alongside this newfound obsession, I’ve also become much more focused on my skincare–making sure my skin is clean, hydrated, and healthy. With this pandemic and online classes, I (like countless others) have experienced a ton of stress–which has greatly contributed to my acne flare-ups. So, here is a relatively comprehensive look at my new morning and nighttime skincare routines, as well as the specific products I have been using–with recommendations!

Whether or not you’re looking to alter your skincare routine, I hope that whatever you’re doing works for you–and, if you are looking for some suggestions, that maybe you can find a couple below! Overall, do your research, experiment, and have fun with healthier skin! 

Morning Skin Care Routine: 

skincare products sit clustered together on a table or vanity
Charisse Kenion | Unsplash

Step 1–Wash my face: I have a couple go-to cleansers that I use to wash my face depending on the goal I want my skin to achieve. The typical face wash that I begin with is the Cetaphil Gentle Foaming Cleanser, which is super relaxing, gentle, and feels really clean. If my acne is flaring up, I’ll wash my face with the PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash in the shower. However, due to its contents, it can cause my skin to dry out, so I try not to use that one regularly. 

Step 2–Apply toner/astringent: Applying toner/astringent helps to revive my skin, especially if I used the drying acne wash. I’ve used several toners/astringents in the past, but my current one is the Neutrogena Clear Pore Oil-Eliminating Astringent. It can be very strong, so be careful if you have sensitive skin!

Step 3–Apply serum: I tend to use the Sea Kale & Hyaluronic Acid Serum, especially on days where I have stressed skin. It feels very relaxing and hydrating!

Step 4–Apply moisturizer: The most important step! I use the Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer, a moisturizer that also contains sunscreen, because that’s super important as well! 

Optional Step 5–Acne care: If I have any active pimples, I love to apply the Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Spot Gel to the specific irritated spots on my face. It has been a life-saver!

Optional Step 6–Apply a hydrating primer: Lastly, if I plan to wear makeup, then I would apply a hydrating primer that will help give an overall dewy look. 

Night Skin Care Routine:

skincare
Charisse Kenion

Step 1–Wash my face: I wash my face each night with the Cetaphil Gentle Foaming Cleanser mentioned above, to get any oil/dirt/makeup off from the day. 

Optional Step 2–Remove excess makeup:  If I missed any makeup, I use the Neutrogena Makeup Wipes to get rid of those last few smudges of mascara. 

Step 3– Apply toner/astringent: I use the same astringent as the one from my morning routine to remove any remaining dirt/oil and help to prevent acne. 

Step 4–Moisturize! Since I don’t need any sunscreen for bed, I use the SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Overnight Face Oil which helps to hydrate my skin and gives a lovely, natural glow to my face. 

Optional Step 5–Acne care: Like my morning routine, if I have any frustrated acne, I will apply the Neutrogena Acne Spot Gel.

Step 6–Hydrate lips: My absolute favorite lip hydration product is the Vaseline Lip Therapy in aloe. It has helped my dry and chapped lips so much. I apply it right after I brush my teeth and get excited for healed lips in the morning!

Step 7–Apply body lotion: Lastly, before I head to bed, I like to apply the Hempz Body Moisturizer to my arms and legs. It smells wonderful and has great benefits for your skin.

Lauren Serge

Ohio U '23

Lauren Serge is currently a senior at Ohio University, majoring in Journalism and specializing in Marketing and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. She is the current President and Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus OU chapter. She enjoys writing, walking, spending time with her family, friends, and her dog, as well as catching up on her many favorite tv shows.
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!