My Favorite Songs By My Favorite Artists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

What kind of music do you listen to? Any music recommendations? These are two questions that I receive quite frequently. Of course, my music taste is a hodgepodge of classic artists and their new counterparts, rhythm and blues to top 40, with a dash of show tunes. While there are many artists I admire, the following are the ones I constantly turn to for comfort. Below are my favorite picks for the artists I admire most. Use these songs as a gateway into these artists’ incredible discography!

Elton John

If you don’t know of Elton John, I guarantee that you’ve heard at least one of his songs. Known for his classics like “Your Song” and every song from the Disney classic Lion King, John has decades of songs and albums. Admittedly, some are better than others, but you can’t win them all! John is at his best when collaborating with his longtime lyricist, Bernie Taupin. The duo was in top form when they released “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” in 1973. Often called his best, this record includes other John/Taupin classics like “Candle in the Wind,” “Bennie and the Jets” and “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting.” But, the standout for me has always been the title song. 

“Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” displays Taupin’s beautiful imagery and heartfelt lyrics, and showcases John’s vocal abilities and piano playing. Much like in the “Wizard of Oz,” this song questions the glitz and glam of city living and drives us home, literally! The message is that sometimes home and the simple life is more worthwhile than a life of excess and luxury. This is the duo at its best before all the drugs, parties, and age wore them out.

George Michael

A fellow Brit and spawn of Elton John and a legend in his own right, George Michael is at the top of my favorite artists. Coming off his success with Wham!, which produced the earworms “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, ” “Careless Whisper” and “Last Christmas,” Michael built himself as a young Elvis, producing hit after hit in the late 1980s. Taking inspiration from the artists at Motown and club sound, Michael used his soulful voice to create the Grammy-award winning debut solo album, “Faith.” Popstar status became too much for Michael, though. He would eventually steer himself away from traditional pop and lay more into jazz and rhythm and blues. 

I have multiple favorites from Michael, “Freedom ‘90,” “A Different Corner,” “Fastlove” and “They Won’t Go When I Go.” But, if I really want to turn you all into George Michael fan (which, if you can’t tell, I really really really want to), I have to take it back to when the world was at its peak with George Michael mania. “Father Figure” is a slow ballad, but showcases the soul Michael added to each of his songs. Michael will mesmerize you with his musicality, songwriting and that voice! Once you fall in love with “Faith,” take the time to explore Michael’s other albums and genuinely appreciate this underrated legend! 

Amy Winehouse

Yet another British citizen (I have no idea how this country consistently produces some of the best musical geniuses ever!) Amy Winehouse left this Earth long before she should’ve, but has left behind some classics. 

Known for the hits “Valerie” and “Back to Black,” Winehouse capitalized on her love of jazz, soul, and blues. Her musical contributions are still considered fresh almost 15 years later. Sampling from the Motown classic “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” Winehouse sings of one of her ex-lovers in “Tears Dry On Their Own.” I love this song because it has more pep than most of Winehouses’ discography, and its musical hook is so catchy! After listening, I recommend checking out “Amy,” a 2015 documentary on Winehouse. It features a lot of her music and discusses the heartbreak that she suffered while alive.

Niall Horan

I loooooove One Direction. Their years of albums, tours and overall general shenanigans were the best years of my life! So, it is right to assume my life has been somewhat in shambles since they all went their separate ways. Luckily, each one has filled that void with some incredible solo work. 

While I love Mr. Harry Styles (I bop to “Adore You” on the regular), some love really needs to be shown to Mr. Niall Horan. This Irish performer has grown so much since his boyband days. With his guitar still in hand, Horan brought back the classic singer/songwriter vibes of the 70s. His second album, “Heartbreak Weather,” skipped to the next decade, the 80s, and showed even more growth. Unfortunately, the album dropped at the beginning of the pandemic and lost the acclaim it deserves. The 80s pop music suits Horan’s voice and moves his story of infatuation, love, and heartbreak from song to song. The title track gives the best hint of what to expect from this album and will allow you to appreciate Horan’s lyrics a bit more. 

Barbra Streisand

And for that dash of show tunes, the queen herself, Barbra Streisand! Although Streisand has only starred in one Broadway musical at this time, Streisand has become beloved by theatre kids all over the world. Thanks to “Glee” and Rachel Berry, I’m sure you’re familiar with her classic from the musical “Funny Girl,” “Don’t Rain on My Parade.” But, you may not know that Streisand was a success on the mainstream charts in her heyday. 

Proving she can adapt to any style of music, Streisand teamed up with disco queen Donna Summer in the 1970s for “No More Tears (Enough is Enough).” The word “bop” sums up this tune best. While it is a duet, this song proves Streisand could carry her own no matter who she was paired with. After you listen to this song several times (which you will be doing because it is a bop), look at the dozens of other Streisand albums. I recommend her 1980 classic and 22nd album (!) “Guilty” and be sure to expand your Streisand knowledge with some of her classic films. Start with “Funny Girl,” “Yentl” and “A Star Is Born.” 

Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!