This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

If you know anything about me, you know I’ve been waiting quite a long time for Miley Cyrus to release her newest album, which was teased over a year ago and has now morphed into a completely different project. Due to Cyrus’ personal life, alongside the changes caused by the pandemic, Cyrus shifted her plans for her album entirely. 

The album, called Plastic Hearts, which debuted on Nov. 27, is Cyrus’ first rock-centered project, though she has been known to dip into the genre for various covers, particularly in her backyard sessions and live performances.

Prior to the full album, Cyrus released two singles, “Midnight Sky” and “Prisoner”, the latter featuring Dua Lipa. 

As I have been anxiously awaiting this album for over a year, I was unsure if it would meet my expectations. But, after the first listen alone, I knew that Cyrus had delivered on her promise, and served her fans a divine platter of classic-rock inspired tunes. 

Cyrus’ range is like no other, and the album actually has a diversity to it that I was not expecting. While she has many of the fun, spunky rock pieces, she also includes several slow songs with meaningful lyrics and strong vocals that add to the depth of the album’s artistic image. 

My personal favorite songs on the album (thus far) are “Plastic Hearts”, “High”, and “Bad Karma”, which each demonstrate her range and complexity in her songwriting. 

“Plastic Hearts”

“Plastic Hearts” was initially not how I expected the title track to be, as it combines her edgy sound with an almost cheerful chorus, but through further listening, the song is one of my favorites for its unique style and catchy beat. The song is constantly in my head (in a good way) and I find myself always going back to it. 

“High”

I adored “High” instantly–the song is one of the slower ones on the album, and the lyrics showcase Cyrus reflecting on her relationship with an ex-lover. The smooth and endearing sound of Cyrus’ voice coupled with her candid lyrics make this one a beautiful listen.

“Bad Karma” feat. Joan Jett

“Bad Karma”, which features icon Joan Jett, pays a lovely homage to Jett’s musical history. The song, which includes some admittedly odd background noises, is such a fun, self-aware song that sounds fantastic as their voices complement one another so well.

While these three are my top favorites, the album is full of songs that are almost all unskippable. The album’s first track “WTF Do I Know” is one guaranteed to be screamed in cars with friends, while “Never Be Me” offers some slower, sadder vibes for some reflective shower time. 

“Night Crawling” featuring Billy Idol also offers that gorgeous classic rock sound with Cyrus’ own flare. While Idol’s verse is not my cup of tea, their voices together are truly fantastic.

The last official song on the album, called “Golden G String” has a completely different tone than anticipated after reading the title. The song boldly comments on the crude judgments that the public and the press have made about Cyrus over the years, criticizing their constant focus on her body and sexual expression. 

The album concludes with three prior released songs that Cyrus chose to accompany the album after widespread positivity. “Edge of Midnight”–her collab with Stevie Nicks, her live cover of “Heart of Glass” and her live cover of “Zombie.” 

Overall, the album offers much more than I could have expected and I believe that is truly is Cyrus’ most authentic version of herself. Each of the tracks unravel a bit of her past and are peppered with the utmost confidence that she carries in the present. 

Lauren Serge

Ohio U '23

Lauren Serge is currently a senior at Ohio University, majoring in Journalism and specializing in Marketing and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. She is the current President and Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus OU chapter. She enjoys writing, walking, spending time with her family, friends, and her dog, as well as catching up on her many favorite tv shows.
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!