This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

For some reason, finding new TV shows to watch is a struggle for me. I’m the type to find a show I absolutely love, watch it all the way through, and then watch it four more times for the next two years. Committing to a new TV show is just a lot for me. It means I have to meet all these new characters, fall in love with some of them, be heartbroken when one of my favorites inevitably leaves the show or dies, and then it is just a whole thing. But, in the last year or so I have found a show that’s crept its way into my treasure trove of acceptable shows, All American. 

Let’s talk All American. What is it? Why is it so good? Is it worth committing to? I’ll break it all down for you. Loosely based on former pro football player Spencer Paysinger, the show follows the journey of high school football all-star Spencer James. He goes to South Crenshaw High School, located in a dangerous part of Los Angeles. In season one, the luxurious Beverly Hills High School football coach recruits Spencer for his football team and goes as far as moving him into his house. Currently, in season four, the show focuses on Spencer’s football experience, the dynamics of being the new kid at school, and don’t worry, all of the classic love triangles and drama of a teen show. 

When I first heard of it, I thought it was just a boring, jock-filled football show, but it is so much more than that. One of my favorite parts about the show is that it sheds light on real-life issues. There are episodes that focus on police brutality, racism, mental health, death, unplanned pregnancy, complicated family dynamics and so much more. What I appreciate even more than the fact that they are not afraid of showing these issues on screen is the way they go about it. It is all done in a very tasteful, authentic style and not sensationalized for entertainment purposes. 

Meryl Streep Yes GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

I don’t want to give away too many details of the show, no spoilers here! If it sounds interesting at all to you, seasons 1-3 are available on Netflix for streaming, and season four is currently in its third week and premiers every Monday night at 8 p.m. ET on the CW. 

Lindsey Osterfeld is currently a junior studying journalism, strategic communication, at Ohio University and adding a social media certificate. She is also the Twitter Manager for Ohio U's chapter of Her Campus. When she is not writing or studying, she can be found watching TV shows like Friends and One Tree Hill, and spending time with her friends and family.