This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Growing up, my educational experience never exposed me to the truth behind America’s history of systematic oppression. As I learn about powerful black leaders through my college education, I realize my history of ignorance. I only ever learned about MLK or Rosa Parks, and while they made a large impact, there are so many other figures that were left out of the picture.

Black History Month comes in February every year, but as New York Rep. Yvette Clarke stated, “We must never forget that Black History is American History. The achievements of African Americans have contributed to our nation’s greatness.”

Here are a list of 4 films that are powerful and should be streamed by everyone if given the opportunity.

13th

13th is a Netflix original produced by the talented film maker, Ava DuVernay. This documentary focuses on racial inequalities in the United States and the shift from slavery to unjust incarceration.

Freedom riders

This film is directed by Stanley Nelson Jr. Freedom Riders follows the true story of individuals as they joined the civil rights protests in the 60s.

The murder of emmett till

Stanley Nelson Jr. also produces this documentary, which focuses on suffrage and the tragic story of racism that led to the death of a 14 year old boy, Emmett Till.

My name is pauli murray

This documentary focuses on the life of the incredible Pauli Murray. Pauli was a nonbinary activist, a lawyer, poet and priest. Their impact was extreme. Unfortunately, many people are unaware of their legacy.

Abby is a junior at Ohio University. She is studying Journalism News and Information. In her free time, Abby enjoys painting, reading, writing, and thrifting!