Long distance with traveling, can it work? What will happen to our relationship if we both are traveling?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Some of you guys may have previously experienced this or will in the future. This past summer, I traveled to two different countries. I had the pleasure of going to Australia and studying abroad in Paris, France. I was only in Australia for roughly nine days, however, I was in Paris for one month. It was amazing, yes, but what sucked was the same week that I was coming back to the states after being gone for a month, my boyfriend was leaving for his study abroad program. We practically were passing one another in the air. 

I, being a “negative nancy,” thought to myself, “there is no way this can work.” A month and a half without someone I see almost everyday? It seemed impossible. Luckily, I was wrong and it turned out to be amazing. I’m not saying there weren’t any rough patches because there were. Here are 5 suggestions that could make a difference in your relationship.

1. First off, the both of you should support one another in what you choose to do. That will make the experience more successful. 

2. Another struggle people face are the time differences. I am not going to lie, that was hard. You two need to work together to find times that fit for you. Communication is going to be key if you will be away from one another for an extended period of time. 

3. This goes off of communication, but make sure you share your day with your partner. Whether that being sending pictures and videos, it will make your partner feel engaged and like they’re with you.

4. If you are unable to use your phone with abroad, you can try sending each other letters or care packages. Letters might seem outdated, but let’s be honest, you wouldn’t turn a letter away from your loved one. 

5. Ultimately, both of you should sit down and discuss what you need and want. If your needs aren’t being met, then the chances are higher of the relationship struggling. 

Hopefully after reading this, you feel a little bit better.

(All gifs courtesy of giphy.com)