Life > Experiences

A Letter to Little Me: What it is Like to Visit Disney at 19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Dear Little Me,

You missed out. I know you were there when you were too young to remember anything, like venturing onto a scary train ride because you thought it was the Monorail, or getting sick and missing almost everything, but it’s okay because I’ll tell you all about it starting with The Magic Kingdom.

I stepped into the park after waiting in the long line to check bags, and the first glance I took was at Cinderella’s Castle: it was more beautiful than anything I could have ever imagined. It sparkled and shimmered in the daytime sun. After taking our first picture with the perfect background, I hopped on the train and ventured to see our favorite character, Cinderella and her friends Elsa, Anna and Rapunzel. You would have loved it. Rapunzel was dressed in her baby blue gown with her hair tied up in a stellar bun that I still cannot accomplish.

I then rode some pretty cool rides. I don’t know if you remember the Peter Pan ride, It’s a Small World, or The Little Mermaid ride, but those were my favorites this time around. I also rode a lot of other spectacular rides including the scary one that traumatized you until you matured a lot and became an extreme ride warrior that I’m proud to call ‘myself’. The best was meeting all our idols, Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Rabbit and Aladdin. It was really upsetting that I knew they were only workers in costumes, but don’t worry, the magic was still there. I could still imagine they were real (at least for the picture).

Another thing you would have enjoyed was the lightshow and fireworks. They were amazing, and reminded me of our past so much that I missed being you: so fascinated with the little things without a care in the world. Then Tinker Bell appeared out of nowhere and once again I wished I was you so that I could feel the magic of Tinker Bell flying. But it was okay because the electric parade made up for it. It took place at night, so it was dark and every character and float was covered in hues of blues, greens, reds, and yellows and even some purples.

On day two, I took a trip to Epcot and saw all the countries.  I even did a few of the activities and I felt like I was once again you. There was this one in particular called ‘figment’ that was so cool, it explored all the senses in an interactive way. There was also one ride based on it.  I tried so many foods and rode so many rides. By the end of the day I was exhausted and wondered how you went without a stroller because I really would have liked one.

Animal Kingdom was also an adventure. I saw tons of animals. I even snapped a picture of a lion, and a hippo swimming with fish. You would have really enjoyed it. The last event was breakfast with Stitch and they had your favorite food, Mickey-shaped waffles. Remember how you used to eat as many as you could fit in your mouth? Well I kept the tradition going. All in all, I had an amazing time and I really wish I was here with you because you would have enjoyed it so much more.

Ohio University Contributor Account