Letter From The Editor: September 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Dear Readers, 

Hello! It hasn’t been too long since our last exchange, but August has ended, and September has rolled in quickly. With that comes the start of the school year at Ohio University. Of course, that looks different for every student. Some have moved into their apartments and houses in Athens, sheltering in place with their roommates and friends. Other students have started the year at home with family and other loved ones. With classes being online, for the time being, each OU Bobcat is finding a way to complete work, but also get plugged into the OU community. Still, each student should start to get into some new work rhythms soon. 

At Her Campus, we are finding our work rhythm, too. While our chapter started a mere three weeks ago, we have started to mesh and work together to make HCOU a success! Our social media team, led by Anna Birk, Twitter manager, and Hannah Morris, Instagram manager, has produced excellent, interactive content that has helped increase our outreach. They have some incredible ideas that I’m sure will brighten up your feeds, so give us a follow on Twitter and Instagram! Speaking of outreach, our events director, Julianne Gannon, is planning some virtual hangouts to get to know our girl gang! Keep a check on our socials for more information and the chance to join us. 

Apps upclose on a phone
Pixabay / Pexels

In terms of content, our team has brainstormed some exciting theme weeks! Keep an eye on our page for weeks focused on women empowerment, a typical day in our lives and stories centered on Ohio University’s Homecoming week. As stated in my last letter, we are also working on expanding our content. Expect new YouTube videos soon, including vlogs and a possible new podcast. I can’t wait to enter this new world of YouTube, and I know the HCOU team’s talent will shine through no matter what they do. 

As I write this and this story is published, we are waiting for President Nellis to share the university’s plans for phase 2. I want to encourage everyone to keep the faith no matter what the outcome is. You’ve been hearing for months how strange these times are, and I’m sure it’s a tiring statement to hear, but this time shall pass. Someday we will all be able to gather on the bricks together, but until then, do your best to support the community! If you’re in Athens, wear a mask, support local businesses and stop it with the unnecessary parties! If you’re at home, still wear that mask when you’re headed out, find a student organization to join online and reach out to friends virtually. We’re going to come out of this stronger, Bobcats. 

Ohio University Class Gateway
Hannah Moskowitz

Sincerely, 

Caitlin Hunt

President/CC of Her Campus at Ohio University

Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!