This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Textbooks
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

It has been nearly a year since I last fully read a book.

And honestly, I feel like for most people, that may seem a little too recent. But, when quarantine first started in the spring of 2020, I encouraged myself to read books to fill up the time. Before I knew it, I had finished four books and felt extremely accomplished and proud of myself. I hadn’t realized how much I missed the feeling of turning a new page, being engulfed in a chapter, and staying up late to reach the conclusion of the book. 

I remember when I was obsessed with book series’ like Twilight, Divergent, and The Hunger Games (sorry to my Harry Potter fans, I only ever read the first one.) I had friends throughout middle school with whom I would exchange books, and we would discuss them when we concluded. It was such a wholesome pastime that I miss dearly. 

So, when I plunged myself back into a reading routine, I fell in love all over again.

For my fiction books, I loved connecting with the fictional characters and feeling attached to the descriptive imagery. For my nonfiction books, I became obsessed with further research — folding down the corners of pages to delve deeper into them later. 

It is such a strange thing to miss reading. But, it is obvious to me that ever since high school, when certain novels were required to read, and reading became less of a free-time task and more of an analytical assignment, that I began to view reading as a chore and practically resent it. 

And, in a lot of ways, I still do. Even today, when I have books to read for class or even just excerpts from a textbook or online article, I struggle to pay attention to them, because I know that their context is purely academic and aimed at further analysis and application.

But, regardless, I am disappointed in myself for falling off the wagon in my personal reading journey. So, I am challenging myself to pick it back up, and start routinely reading again.

Now, it is true that I have much less free time now than I did at the early start of quarantine, but I am setting this goal to at least read some pages of a book each day–and more importantly, spend less time on my phone or laptop. 

So, I am going to classify this as Lauren’s Reading Revival — I’m beginning my first-ever personal series in my Her Campus writing, and I’m hoping it will be a success. 

Stay tuned for my progress and book reviews!

Person holding coffee and book
Photo by Nathan Dumlao from Unsplash

Lauren Serge

Ohio U '23

Lauren Serge is currently a senior at Ohio University, majoring in Journalism and specializing in Marketing and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. She is the current President and Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus OU chapter. She enjoys writing, walking, spending time with her family, friends, and her dog, as well as catching up on her many favorite tv shows.
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!