Keep Noah Rolling!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Noah Trembly, an Athens-based disability advocate with cerebral palsy, took his followers on an inspiring Court Street shuffle Nov. 14, 2015. Considering what we associate with the word “shuffle” at party schools (a mob of matching T-shirts flying bar-to-bar, consuming enough shots to flunk school), it’s hard to imagine a shuffle being done out of innocence.

Photo by Braeden McClain

For the shuffle, two Athens-favorite bars, Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery and Tony’s Tavern, offered drink specials created specifically to raise money for Trembly’s cause, “Keep Noah Rolling.” A team of nine senior strategic communication majors at OU helped Trembly publicize the cause in an effort to buy him a new disability-accessible van worth $60,000. The van he currently owns is run-down, and Trembly cannot wait for something new!

Trembly was born with severe cerebral palsy — a condition that prevents one from maintaining the muscle control needed to do tasks we take for granted. In his case, it prevents him from communicating orally and being able to walk. He is stuck in a wheelchair but lives independently. Trembly’s affliction doesn’t affect his sense of humor, which is on ample display as he communicates via a computerized screen that he interacts with via a dot on his forehead. The dot picks up a signal from the screen when he points the dot at specific characters, cobbling together the words he wants to speak, and his computer then does the talking.  This enables him to speak to groups to help them understand what it’s like to walk in his shoes (or rather, roll in his wheels).

Photo by Bob Benz

Many people stereotype the disabled based on what they are not able to do instead of focusing on the things they can do, and Trembly can do a lot. For instance, he is the CEO of Noah Trembly Enterprises, a company that advocates for people with disabilities and works to ensure public facilities are complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The main problem is not his disability; the main problem is his current van. It’s old and beat up, which makes it hard for him to get around, and it’s in danger of breaking down completely, which would leave him stranded at home and unable to perform his critical advocacy work. His job often takes him around the state of Ohio and beyond to advocate, so having proper transportation is key!

Trembly’s current van. (Photo by Sophia Borghese)

Events like the shuffle on Nov. 14 are key in helping him raise not only awareness, but also money for his van.

Trembly has varied interests and lives life to its fullest. He loves the Grateful Dead (as is evidenced by his multiple Dead tattoos), is a vegetarian who loves to garden, is an accomplished digital artist, enjoys hiking and snow skiing and does computer programming. All of these activities require that he be mobile, so each donation to “Keep Noah Rolling” helps ensure he can continue enjoying life.

In case you weren’t sipping Hot Nuts at Tony’s or trying new beers at Jackie O’s last weekend, you can still help Noah. Like him on Facebook and tell your friends to check out his GoFundMe page. You just may decide to roll with the man, and “Keep Noah Rolling!

Sophia Borghese is a Strategic Communications major at Ohio University. She is always excited to write stuff for Her Campus.  Sophia has writen for her university's fashion magazine, Thread, for over three years, and loves to write beauty related articles the most. Many of the makeup looks in the magazine are done by her as well. Most people associate her with bright lipstick, and her Instagram account Sophia Makeup Artistry. She loves to stalk great makeup artists, read up on the latest beauty trends and shop at Sephora whenever she can.  Alongside her interests in beauty, she is obsessed with sushi, pugs, Madonna and her favorite band Incubus.  Professionally speaking, she wants to continue to be a makeup artist, and work as a freelance beauty writer while partaking in the beauty PR world. 
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano