John Taylor Strohmeyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Name:
John Taylor Strohmeyer

Major: Commercial Photography

Hometown: Granville, Ohio

Graduation Year: 2012

Relationship Status: Taken 

Hobbies: Hiking, Climbing, Snowboarding, Sailing

Interesting Fact: Took winter quarter off last year to live in Vermont and work at a ski shop and shred the gnar.

Dislikes: The fact that I only have one more year left here!

Why do you love photography? Photography is calming to me, especially when I have the time to really work on a shot and put some thought into it.

What’s your favorite spot in Athens? Strouds Run has to be one of my favorite spots in Athens. I have taken some of my favorite photos there and always have a good time with my buds.

What’s your idea of the perfect first date? Doing something fun where the vibe is relaxed, the romanticism can wait – I think it’s more important to be comfortable with someone off the bat.

Who or what inspires you and why? A lot of photographers have inspired me, such as Erik Almas, David Lachapelle and Annie Leibovitz. These guys make photography as a career look like a blast, and their techniques are equally mind-blowing, very motivating. My friends who didn’t take the college route are also inspiring, they always feed me with unique experiences and crazy stories; I can’t wait to see what life has in store off-campus in a year or so.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Well, five years ago at this time I hadn’t even picked up a camera for the first time, so who knows where I’ll be in five years from now. Hopefully someplace where I can enjoy life and work without wearing a suit. 

Originally from Pittsburgh, Rachel is a senior at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism of Ohio University (Go Bobcats!). In addition to being a content editor and staff writer for OU's branch of Her Campus, she's also the managing editor of Southeast Ohio, a student-run magazine produced by the journalism school. In her spare time, she does volunteer work as a member of OU's Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. In the past, she has interned at Pittsburgh's premier lifestyle magazine Whirl, and this past summer, she was an editorial intern at Woman's Day magazine in New York City. Rachel's favorite things include shopping, reading celebrity gossip, and curling up with a really good book. After graduation, she plans to move to NYC and work with women's magazines.
Rebekah Meiser is a senior studying Magazine Journalism at Ohio University, with a split specialization in Italian and Art History. Like many Italians, she is obnoxiously proud of her heritage and fully embraces it by consuming embarrassing amounts of pasta, bread and cheese. She currently owes a scary amount of money to the government, but continues to masochistically check Net-a-Porter and Urban Outfitters online for beautiful items that she lusts but cannot afford. Rebekah goes to school in the middle of some of the best cornfields in Ohio. Although she finds the location less than ideal, she has become an avid star-gazer thanks to the unpolluted sky. A true lover of fashion, her friends make fun of her for playing dress up as often as she does, but she’s not one to be discouraged. Rebekah also loves to run (read: alternate between jogging and walking), read fashion blogs, bake, and read magazines (of which she owns a forest-worth). She hopes to live and work in New York City after she graduates in the spring.