Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Survive Valentines Day in a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Ned’s Declassified school survival guide? Classic. But, welcome to Clara’s Declassified Survival Guide. A survival guide on long distance. Welcome to the first edition. Valentines day!

Valentines Day, one of the most beloved holidays. A time to celebrate love and all things pink and red. But, what about for those of us in a long distance relationship? Having to spend the holiday alone can be brutal, especially as love circulates through Tik-Tok and social media. Here are some ways to spend your Valentine’s Day, even from a distance.

gift ideas

Whether you are spending your holiday with your partner, over the phone, or somewhere in between, choosing a gift is the first step in a Valentine’s Day celebration.

1. gift basket

You may have seen this circulating on the Internet over the last couple of days. A gift basket curated to your partner is a perfect way to show them how much you care. Start with a simple basket you can find at Target or Walmart. And then the fun part begins. Fill your basket with candy and snacks that your partner loves to start out. Then small gifts, can be anything from a sweatshirt to a coffee cup, to a picture of you guys together. A sure fire way to celebrate your SO on this special day. Best part? Once you make your basket, if you can’t actually be with your partner to celebrate, you can ship it to them!

2. flowers

Cliché I know, but flowers are one of the best gifts to get on Valentine’s Day, its a prerequisite that comes with the sappy love Valentine’s Day is all about. Simple, and effective, you can find flowers that fit your budget, and that will definitely make your partner smile. There are also a TON of websites that will ship flowers to your partner if you can’t be together on this day. Check out some of the sites down below!

https://www.1800flowers.com/

https://www.proflowers.com/flowers/send-flowers?cid=pfseo&prid=followdts

https://www.fromyouflowers.com/price/under-30-flowers

3. PICTURES

One of my favorite Valentine’s Day gift ideas is pictures of you and your SO, that are sure to make them feel extra loved. Grab a picture frame of your choice, you can even add stickers or a cute message on the frame. Want to step it up? Make a scrapbook, whether that’s good old fashioned paper and pen, or using a website like SnapFish to create your masterpiece. Again, you can definitely ship to your partner!

celebrating the day

if you can’t be together on valentines day…

1. virtual date

While it’s not as good as being truly together a Valentine’s Day celebrating over facetime or Skype is a great way to still be connected and spend some quality time together.

2. virtual movie

Thanks to TeleParty, it’s easier than ever to have a virtual movie night with your partner. Simply download the extension to your browser, find a time, and watch your Valentine’s Day movie.

Recommendations:

Netflix: The Wedding Year, When We First Met, Murder Mystery

Disney Plus: 10 Things I Hate About You

HBO Max: Valentine’s Day (of course), When Harry Met Sally (all time favorite!!), A Star is Born

3. celebrate early or late

Okay so maybe you can’t celebrate Valentine’s Day on the actual day? Why not early or later? Anytime you can see your SO is something to celebrate already, add Valentine’s Day festivities to the mix. A nice dinner out, or a movie night, whatever your heart desires!

if you can be together…

This is where you can really get creative. Go see a movie you’ve been dying to see, or make your own at home movie theatre. Dinner out, or make each other your favorite meals. An art gallery showing, a picnic, star gazing, or a nap date. If you are gifted with time spent with your long distance partner on Valentine’s Day soak up every moment, and simply cherish your time.

Okay so almost as good as Ned’s Declassified right? Whether you are spending your Valentine’s Day with your partner or not, be sure to spend some extra time showing each other love. After all, it’s what the holiday is all about!

Clara Leder

Ohio U '26

Hi!!! I am a freshman at OU currently majoring in Language Arts Education. I hope to be a highschool English teacher one day! I love all things Taylor Swift, and I love to dance, read, hike, run, and swim. I can't wait to show you more of my world!