How to Honor Indigenous People During Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Thanksgiving was and is a holiday rooted out of racism, the holiday began to celebrate a genocide of Native peoples. This day is extremely painful to many Indigenous people. Instead of ignorantly celebrating the holiday, here are some ways you can honor Native people.

1. Learn about the true history of thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is not the story of rainbows and butterflies that everyone makes it seem like. In reality, Thanksgiving was a holiday made to honor soldiers who slaughtered indigenous people as well as a political act to help “unite” the country more. You can learn about the true history through many sights, like the Smithsonian Magazine. Reading from the point of view of the Native Americans today is also a great thing to do, as seen in this Huffington Post article. I highly suggest that you check your privilege on this day and learn about something that has been whitewashed for years.

2. watch videos and listen to indigenous people’s voices

A way to honor a group of people is to listen to them and truly hear them. To recognize the privileges we all have and to educate ourselves is a fundamental part of humanity. Instead of watching a completely untrue movie about Thanksgiving, watch a documentary about the crimes and brutality committed. Watch videos with your family on how Thanksgiving affects Native people, watch about how the country is treating Native Americans currently. Boost and talk about the atrocities still being committed by the government and others towards Indigenous people.

3. Do not appropriate native culture

I have seen time and time again parents posting their children in headdresses (that Native peoples wear) that their children made during school for their holiday party. Unless you are Indigenous, you can not “dress up” in Natives peoples’ culture. It is extremely offensive. If you see someone post something like this, explain to them what’s wrong with what happened or if something like this happens to your own children, complain and report the action to the school board as well as confront the teacher. Do not tolerate people making noises to mimic Native American calls because that is also extremely racist and inappropriate. Here is an article on why no one should wear a costume impersonating a Native American from the Voices on Native Youth.

4. when preparing food, INCORPORATE a traditional Native American cuisine

The food eaten at the modern-day Thanksgiving table is not what was seen at the original feasts. Instead of eating white-washed foods, honor different cultures by preparing food respectfully. Explain where the meal came from and how it is prepared, educate your family at the dinner table. Here is an article featuring recipes from indigenous chefs. Another article here by Delish.

5. Support native farmers

We buy so much food at Thanksgiving and buy it all from big corporate companies. This year, support the native population of farmers by buying from them instead of a company probably run by a rich old white guy. With having foods grown by Indigenous people, you are further honoring them and you are supporting them financially! Along with that, support Native Farmers all year round as well, and support other Native businesses!

6. Become an ally all year round

Honoring, supporting, and fighting for Indigenous people does not need to stop once Thanksgiving is over. Continuously educate yourself on issues happening currently with Native groups, support businesses owned by Native Americans, continue to incorporate their food into your meals. Teach the people around you about Natives culture and most importantly listen to Indigenous voices. The fight for Native peoples’ rights has not stopped and we must come together and fuel the fire to keep progressing.

Thanksgiving is a holiday that glosses over the true history of the Indigenous peoples. Still today, people believe that colonizers and natives came together and forever had peace from this day forward, but that is not the case. When celebrating this holiday, educate yourself of its true history and honors those who it affected. Incorporate Native American food, music, and films. Do not stop supporting the Native community once Thanksgiving is over either, for we are on stolen land and Native people have not gotten all they deserve back.

Hi! I am Maddie and I am from Kent. I love crystals, plants, music, and I am really into chakra cleansing. I hike and do yoga during my free time! My major is music education and my dream job is to be an elementary music teacher. I am in a treble ensemble called Bella Voce, a music fraternity called Sigma Alpha Iota, and Nafme!