How to Survive Rainy Weather on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Rainy days on campus are inevitable and when it rains, it pours. Whether you love a cool, rainy day or absolutely despise them, it is important to be prepared. It is easy to get caught in a freak storm and with winter coming, it is important to be ready for the changing seasons. These are just a few tips on surviving all the rainy days on campus as we progress to the cold, wintery months.  

Check the weather before heading to class

Before going to bed the night before or getting dressed in the morning, check the weather. While looking out the window will reveal what the current conditions are, it is helpful knowing what the rest of the day will be like. Checking the weather is easily done through your phone, which you are always on anyways. This way you can prepare your outfit to best suit that day’s weather. 

Have a nice pair of rain boots or booties

Now, knowing the weather for the day, it will be helpful to have a pair of rain boots or booties to throw on before leaving to go to class. These will not only keep your feet dry and warm, they will give you traction when walking on slippery, wet bricks. These boots can be carried over from the rain to winter days due to their added traction.

A warm, waterproof jacket is a necessity

Whether it is raining or a snowy, winter day, a warm, waterproof jacket will protect you from the harsh weather outside. Having a waterproof jacket will keep you dry and warm so you are not spending the rest of your day wet and miserable, but are able to focus during classes.

Always carry an umbrella

The weather cannot always be predicted correctly and there may be a time that you get caught in a rainstorm after class. This is why an umbrella should always be in your backpack. This will safe you and your bag from being completely soaked or from being stuck in a building unable to leave due to a down pour. A cheap, portable umbrella will save you when you are least prepared for the weather.

Have a hair tie with you

Rainy days do not produce nice hair. Have a hair tie with you or in your bag to use if your hair does not want to cooperate on a particular rainy day. You can easily tie your hair back and carry on with your day.

With these tips, you will be on the right path to successfully survive any weather that campus throws at you.

(All photos courtesy of Giphy)

A senior at Ohio University, Hannah Moskowitz is majoring in the news and information journalism track at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. During her time there, she is president, campus correspondent and writes for Her Campus. In her free time, she writes for her personal blog: www.hannahmeetsworld.com. When she's not writing, she loves to paint, hammock with friends and take care of her plants.