How To Get Through The Semester With A Class You Don’t Like

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Every college student has to take at least one class they don’t like, and it can be a struggle to get through it. Whether you don’t like the course material, the professor, or maybe how early the class meets, it can be difficult to get through a semester of courses that don’t interest you. Here are some ways to push through the semester and grow from the class.

Focus on the parts of the class you do like

If the course doesn’t interest you, but you like the professor’s teaching style, use that to your advantage and get help from the professor. Taking classes with different professors can also help you figure out which teaching styles you like, and in the future, you might be able to take classes with the same professors. If you don’t like the professor but enjoy the material, one option is to get help from a classmate or the TA. Use the parts of the class that you like to your advantage to help get you through the semester. By focusing on the good parts of the class it can also improve your attitude and eventually you might begin to enjoy the course.

Learn from the parts of the class you don’t like

If a class doesn’t interest you and it is in the field of your major, it could be a sign to switch majors. Remember not to panic just because you don’t enjoy one class, it doesn’t mean you have to completely change your future. It can also help you narrow down what career path you want in your major, and doesn’t always mean you need to schedule an appointment with your adviser. If the class is outside of your major and you don’t enjoy it (which is very common) be thankful that you have the class as a break from classes in your major that are similar.

If the class is early in the morning, plan the night before

By laying out your clothes and getting your coffee cup ready the night before, you can run out the door easier and with less panic when you have to wake up for an 8 a.m. presentation. While it can be helpful to go to bed earlier on nights before an early class, you don’t need to rearrange your entire day so you can get a full night of sleep. Simply packing your backpack the night before can help you get ready in the morning, and get out the door faster without forgetting anything important.

Make friends in the class

Making new friends in a class you don’t like can help you get through it. Not only will it give you a study partner and someone to get notes from if you miss class, but it can also motivate you to go to class. By just having someone there who you enjoy talking to in class can help you learn to enjoy the course.

Remember that everyone has semesters they don’t enjoy and there are ways to get through it. Don’t forget that the semester isn’t that long and you can use the time to grow.

Elizabeth Cutler is a sophomore English Education major at Ohio University. In her free time Elizabeth enjoys writing, hammocking, painting, and spending time with her dog.