This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

With spring slowly approaching, you may feel inclined to change up your style or look. I personally love being spontaneous, and oftentimes that has a lot to do with my hair. Unfortunately, I haven’t always put a lot of thought into what style I may want; I’ve just gone for it. However, there may be specific hairstyles that fit your individual face shape and can accentuate your features more. 

Here are my top six tips on recognizing what the best hairstyle for you could be and how to execute the style to fit your own hair. 

Recognize Your Face Shape 

There are eight basic face shapes that most people fall into. Most people either have a rectangular, oval, square, heart, diamond, round, triangular or even oblong face shape. It can be hard to recognize what specific face shape you have at first, but my best advice is to research the different face shapes and examine your own. Try pulling your hair back and asking a friend or family member what shape your face resembles most, or even take a picture of your face and examine it on your own. 

Find Celebrities With Similar Face Shapes 

After you figure out what face shape you have, you should take some time to look up pictures on Pinterest of celebrities with a similar face shapes. Even though it may be a little weird at first, you may start to recognize similarities between their hairstyles. I tend to fall into the category of having a heart-shaped face, and often, I will look up hairstyles Mary-Kate Olsen has rocked. It can be hard, but finding a celebrity with similar facial features can give you a mental image of what that particular hairstyle might look like on you. Reese Witherspoon is another celebrity with a heart-shaped face and a similar bone structure as mine. I try to look up pictures of different hairstyles that have worked, and more importantly, not worked for her. 

Understand What Your Face Shape Means

There are many online websites and blog posts that dive into hairstyles that could fit your own individual face shape. The majority of them discuss how your face shape also has a lot to do with your bone structure. For example, diamond face shapes typically feature a narrow forehead and jawline with cheekbones at the face’s widest point. While triangle face shapes typically feature a strong jawline that is wider than the forehead and a chin that is square or flat in shape. On the other hand, people with round faces have a face where the width and the length are the same. Typically these people are referred to as having a “baby face.”

Research What Hairstyles Flatter You 

After you somewhat understand your face shape and the characteristics that come along with it. You can start to understand what hairstyles flatter you most. It’s recommended for women and girls who have a square-shaped face to find a style that involves straight hair with long layers and/or wispy side-swept bangs. The side bangs can give your face more dimension while also softening your features. People with diamond face shapes should focus their hairstyle towards something short and textured; a chin-length bob is suggested. To soften the sharp angles your face shape may have, you can even consider a deep side part with loose waves. However, for diamond face shapes, even a high ponytail can show off your cheekbones. If you have an oval face shape, it can actually be quite easy to find the perfect hairstyle for you; these face shapes often require minimal effort. Oval faces can rock a variety of hairstyles; however, if you’re looking for a style that really makes a statement, I suggest a blunt bob with subtle layers. 

Executing Your Hairstyle

If you’re going to a stylist to execute this hairstyle, you should make sure they understand what exactly you want and your overall feeling towards your face shape and individual facial features. Be comfortable taking control of your appointment; it can help steer the stylist in the right direction. I encourage you to find a specific stylist you feel comfortable with and keep going to them. It’s important to build a relationship with your stylist, so he/she knows you and what hairstyle fits your face shape and, more importantly, your personality. I encourage you to save the pictures you previously found on Pinterest and show your stylist the specific style you want and how you want it executed. It’s important to acknowledge the amount of maintenance your desired style is going to require. If you want a low-maintenance haircut, make sure you voice that. 

Learn From Me 

I figured sharing my own process of trial and error with hairstyles could be helpful for those who are trying to switch up their hairstyle. I have tried everything from a short brown bob, a blonde bob, long blonde hair, pink hair, and now currently, I am rocking bangs. I love being extravagant with my hairstyles and my appearance, so finding a style that was chic yet original has proved to be hard. I did extensive research on my face shape and even hair colors that suit my features the best. Shorter hair was recommended for my heart-shaped face. However, I just felt it didn’t fit my personality. I dealt with painful cystic acne in my younger teen years that caused my confidence to take a hit. I was constantly worried about my acne scars and what people would think of me. Obviously, with short hair, it proved to be hard to hide scars and new acne spots. I decided to try to see if bangs could work for me and my particular situation, and they did. I felt they accentuated my current features while disguising my insecurities (acne). My hair journey proves that even if there are specific hairstyles catered to your face shape, that doesn’t mean they’re for you. Be spontaneous and be willing to try new hairstyles out and feel around for what works best for you. 

Want to learn more about your face shape and the potential hairstyles that could work for you? More information can be found at :

https://www.luxyhair.com/blogs/hair-blog/hairstyles-for-different-face-shapes

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/beauty-hair/celebrity-hair-makeup/g1642/celebrity-face-shapes-heart-99644/?slide=8

https://www.thetrendspotter.net/haircuts-for-face-shape/

Emily Squance is a sophomore at Ohio University studying communications in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. She is an active member of Variant Magazine and Active Minds. She likes to spend her time outside hiking with friends and listening to a broad range of music. Her words to live by are "treat people with kindness and compassion." : )
Ohio University Contributor Account