This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Let’s face it. We all hate washing our hair. There’s no way to truly explain it, as there’s really no better feeling than fresh, washed hair. Yet somehow the grueling task of shampooing and repeating is still so taunting. Not to mention how healthy it is to allow your natural oils to do their thang. Here are some of the best ways to hide, cure, and use your dirty hair to your advantage.

1. Train your hair

First things first, there is actually a way to train your hair to go longer in between washes. If you wash your hair every day, your scalp will begin to produce oil more rapidly, trying to make up for lost time. Stripping your hair of its natural oils so frequently is actually awful for your hair! By implementing some of our tips shared below, you can slowly shift from washing your hair every single day to every other day, to even longer! Slow and steady wins the race here. Begin by switching to every-other-day washings and keep at that for a while until you feel comfortable going longer. Your hair will begin to remain fresh-looking for days before it’s in need of a good scrub.

2. Dry Shampoo / Natural Alternatives

Dry shampoo is arguably a girl’s best friend, behind dogs and, diamonds I guess. There are endless options when it comes to dry shampoo and you’re bound to find one that fits your needs. There are high-end, low-end, volumizing, conditioning, vegan, cruelty-free, and endless other possibilities of dry shampoo for you to choose from. If you’re a sucker for a good DIY and love natural alternatives for beauty products like myself, we’ve got you covered. Things that you can find in your kitchen cabinets such as cornstarch, baby powder, arrowroot powder, and cocoa powder are all great options for covering up your greasy locks in a pinch.

3. Work with it

Some hairstyles work much better with greasy and dirty hair. Personally, I always have found that my messy buns turn out virtually flawless every time I’m on second or third-day hair. Hairstylists often argue that some styles just require a bit more grip, that dirty hair can provide. Silky soft clean hair can often slip through some styles and not hold. Besides the classic messy bun, we recommend trying out a sleek Kim K style high pony, using the grease to its advantage, or a couple tight French braids, and using the oil to tame those pesky flyaways.

4. Cover it

When all else fails, cover that mess up. If you’ve exhausted all of your options, and that rat’s nest on your head is so bad that it’s actually offensive, please don’t pull a 2007 Britney and shave it. It’s time to accessorize. My everyday go-to is baseball caps. They’re easy and can add the perfect touch to a sporty athleisure outfit for class or running errands. If you’re going for a more sophisticated look, a chic headscarf may just fix all your problems. Some other alternatives to try out are headbands, bandanas, and beanies!

Jaime is currently pursuing her bachelor's degree in Retail Merchandising and Fashion Product Development at Ohio University. Although she's from the Jersey shore, you won't find her fist pumping at the club very often. She is extremely passionate about fashion, animals, and the environment. You can almost always find her hanging out her with her cats, shopping at thrift stores, or hiking in the woods!