This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Here are some ideas for this year’s Halloween, in the age of a global pandemic.

Dress up in your costume and take some fall Instagram photos 

Do you still want to add a Halloween photo to your Instagram this year? Well, this option allows you to really go all out. Instead of those party pictures with your friends, take your phone to the spookiest place nearby and take some spooky photos! Self-timer your camera or if you have a friend that wants to join, you can have them take the photos for you. The plus with this is that you combine a photo shoot with Halloween vibes.

Virtual Halloween movie watching party

I just did this with my friends a few weeks ago and it was so much fun. Especially when you want to celebrate with friends far away. Just set up a zoom and use, Youtube, Netflix party, or Amazon Watch party to get the experience together.(if you don’t have any friends up to watch join HCOU next week for our Virtual Watch Party)

Movie night with yourself

I feel like this pandemic has left us all stressed out and feeling lonely. There isn’t a better time than now to really pamper yourself. Make that popcorn, eat that candy, and paint those nails! Pick a spooky movie you’ve never seen and have fun. I did this back in September (because I couldn’t wait) and it was so much fun. I cleaned my room and decorated it while I watched, it just makes you feel like you doing something for yourself. 

Some of my Movie picks for this year-

Wild Things

Haunting of Hill House (I know it’s a TV show but still)

Truth or Dare

The Addams Family 

Make a TikTok transform video with friends

This one will need a lot of effort, but I saw this all over TikTok months ago with prom virtually. A get ready with me where you turn into your costume you would have worn. Then combine videos with partaking friends and you have a viral sensation. #HCOUIDEA

Decorate your dorm/apartment/room

I know we are at the end of October, so maybe this is a very late idea. But do any last-minute decorations in your space for Halloween. The more you help yourself get in the spirit the more it feels like Halloween. 

Pumpkin carving and/or baking

These are two things I have already done this year. And it really does make you feel normal again. Not only has this not changed from last year or years before but it’s cheap and easy to do. I tried to look on the positive and tell myself that if I were in a dorm, I wouldn’t even be able to do this, so this is just a bonus.

I know Halloween is looking a lot different this year, a lot is up in the air, and right now it’s scary and stressful. Please be mindful of keeping your Halloween as safe as they can be, while still having fun! Try to find a middle ground when planning Halloween get-togethers (virtually or not). Not knowing what the future has in store can be scarier than most horror films but try to look at what you can accomplish that you couldn’t have if we were in a normal year. Have a spooky Halloween!

Hi I'm Julianne, a sophomore at Ohio U, majoring in communications. I am also the Events Director for HCOU.
Ohio University Contributor Account