HCOU Weighs In On HallOUween 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

From the costumes to the craziness, HallOUween is one of the busiest days in Athens, Ohio! With the spirit of the annual HallOUween block party coming up, we asked our staff writers: “What are you expecting from HallOUween 2016?”  

“Every year, I try to use really cool makeup techniques to really bring together my costume. I am hoping to have my best makeup look yet this year. More importantly, I want to make amazing memories with my best friends this HallOUween, as it is my last year at Ohio University.”

Paige B., 2017

“I can’t wait for this HallOUween! Last year I was a freshman, so it was my first time attending. I’m excited to finally know what to expect, I think it will make the night even more fun!”

Hannah M., 2019

“Huge crowds.”

Kirby S., 2017

“I am expecting to be disappointed in myself when I see all the creative costumes that everyone thought of. Being a freshman, I really have no expectations of how the night will go besides that it will be insanely crowded. I of course am expecting to have fun and hopefully eat some candy.”

Leslie M., 2020

“An environment of super fun and crazy Halloween costume ideas!”

Meghan O., 2019

“I’m super excited for HallOUween! It’s one of the things that I look forward to every year. I’m expecting a lot of creative costumes as well as a lot of Harley Quinn costumes. And of course I’m expecting and looking forward to the usual craziness that is HallOUween in Athens!”

Allie H., 2018

“Honestly, I am freaked for HallOUween. It’s going to be probably be the weirdest thing to happen to OU in years. First, there is going to by hundreds of Harley Quinn’s. Now don’t get me wrong, she is one of my favorite Batman villains, besides Poison Ivy (redheads gotta stay together). But after Suicide Squad, every other girl is going to be parading around as Margot Robbie. Second, we have a freakin’ clown epidemic. I have always hated clowns, they are the scariest buttheads ever. From the creepy eyes, to the stupid nose, to the painted face, I have always been petrified of them. And now that I am an adult, I should have the ability to avoid them, right? WRONG. Literally how am I supposed to know that that person in a clown costume is nice, or if he is Jack the Ripper come back to get me because I laughed during his movie? Either way, it’s the time of year to get spooky friends.”

Mackenzie S., 2019

“I am expecting to dress up and have a fantastic night with my best friend.  I am also excited to see all of the people on Court Street going all out with their costumes.”

Meghan F., 2020

“This will be my second HallOUween. To start, I am expecting to be surrounded by many people at all times. I know that I will see people I knew before coming to Ohio University because students from other universities love to come down to Athens to experience HallOUween. Hopefully, the weather will be better this year. Last year, it began to rain in the evening which cut my night short. In terms of costumes, I hope that people get super creative and humorous with them. Most of all, I’m expecting to have more fun and celebrate!”

Rachel O., 2019

“This HallOUween, I’m expecting to be kind of remorseful. This is the end of an era, seeing that I’m a senior, and I’m sad to this is silly tradition end. HallOUween is more than a party– it’s a community coming together and having a good time. College students are under an overwhelming amount of stress and HallOUween is a fun way to blow off steam. I’m excited to move on, but I find myself getting nervous and sadder as the day grows near. But, I have an awesome costume, so I’m glad to be going out with a bang.”

Dottie K., 2017

“As a freshman, I have no idea what to expect!  I just want to have a good, safe time!  I’m expecting to see a lot of really cute costumes!  I love seeing people wearing costumes that they made themselves (bonus points if they were well executed!)”

Jessica R., 2020

“Since this is my third HallOUween I am looking forward to getting dressed up with my closest friends and having a pregame at my house. I do not want to get lost in the sea of people on Mill street like I have in the previous years but I do want to people watch from my front porch. Since I am over 21 I would like to go to the bars on Court street early in the afternoon to experience what the bars are like when it is filled with students in costumes. Going to the bars on HallOUween is on my bucket list for senior year so I would like to check it off.”

Casey F., 2017

“I don’t know what to expect. From what I have heard A LOT of people will be here. Definitely a lot of “Harley Quinns” and “Risky Business” costumes, hopefully no clowns. I can’t wait to see the parade and experience my first ever Halloween at Athens, it will definitely be more exciting than any other other Halloween experience I’ve had!”

Gabby Z., 2020

“I am hoping that the weather is nice because it’s been a rollercoaster for the past 3 HallOUweens! I am really hoping my costume as a senior tops the Poison Ivy costume I made last year. Being the last HallOUween I’ll be here for, I hope it is the best one yet and filled with best friends and fun times and no clowns!”

Brooklynn K., 2017

Photo courtesy of lockerdome.com

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!