HCOU Alumna Arielle J. Patterson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

OUr campus celebrity is a recent graduate of Ohio University and a former member of the Her Campus Ohio University staff! HCOU asked her a few questions!

HCOU: What degree did you receive when you graduated last spring?

Arielle Patterson: I got my degree in News and Information Journalism with specializations in Sociology and Sports Management.

HCOU: What are you working on now?

AP: Other than overindulging on Lifetime movies, I’ve been contributing to a sports blog where I write about the NFL. I also have my own television blog so I can write about my real guilty pleasure: reality TV. In a few weeks, I’ll be starting my post-grad job as a Media Relations Intern for the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

HCOU: What do you miss most about Athens?

AP: It’s strange but I actually miss taking classes (the good ones). Next to that, I’d have to say that I miss nightlife on Court Street and starting my weekends on Tuesday or Wednesday.

HCOU: Are you coming back for homecoming and if so what are you most excited about?

AP: Of course I’m coming back for homecoming! I’m so excited to see my friends. We have such an indescribable bond, and I know it will feel like no time has passed once we’re reunited.

HCOU: What were you involved in while at OU?

AP: I was on the executive boards of Ohio University’s Association of Black Journalists and Out-of-State Student Ambassadors. I wrote for Her Campus Ohio U with some amazing people and Speakeasy Magazine. I was also a cast member on the entertainment news show Straight Up.

HCOU: What’s something you didn’t do while at OU but wish you had?

AP: I wish I had hiked up Bong Hill. Everyone gets the most amazing pictures from up there, but I’m far too out of shape to make it to the top.

HCOU: What’s some advice you have for freshmen?

AP: Experience everything OU and Athens have to offer. There are so many opportunities and freshman year is the perfect time to dip your toe in the water.

HCOU: What advice do you have to students who are graduating in the next year?

AP: Enjoy the rest of your time but don’t get wrapped up in trying to check off your “Bobcat Bucket List.” Doing that stuff is fun, but your diploma is still the end goal.

HCOU: Anything else you’d like to add?

AP: Also, appreciate the drink prices at Athens’ bars. The real world is expensive.

Ohio University Class of 2018 | Psychology major West Virginia native now living in Athens. I love traveling, eating junk food and quoting The Office. You'll probably find me yelling at a TV while watching football. 
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano