This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

There are a lot of toxic attitudes revolving around “basic” things within what I like to call girl culture. Things like selfies, room decor, shoes, makeup trends, etc., are all something you can get bashed for in today’s world, mostly by other women. I know that I have avoided dressing a certain way, buying certain things, posting certain types of pictures to keep myself out of the so-called “basic girl” look. We have all seen pictures of large groups of women wearing the same clothes or shoes. The picture is usually taken from a high angle. The caption is usually something to the effect of “I’m Not Like Other Girls.” No one wants to be in that picture, in that position to be made fun of. I know I was caught taking a self-timer picture with a friend, and it was recorded and posted to my school’s barstool account.

I think good-spirited teasing is entirely okay. Yeah, I did get caught doing something kinda cringy for an Instagram picture. Honestly, it made me feel kinda cool for a second, being on a popular Instagram account. But, when I found out it was another girl who filmed the video, I did get kinda annoyed! I think we all have taken a classic self-timer picture! It is even harder to keep yourself from judging others by what they post, wear, or enjoy when restricting yourself from “basic” culture. Let’s face it, though, lots of basic things are fun or comfy. Things get popularized for a reason. Although it may make you seem basic for doing them, we need to start allowing ourselves and others to enjoy what we like, no matter if they’re a lot of other people enjoying the same things. Here are 7 things that many consider basic but are actually really dope:

Polaroid Pictures

When polaroids first became popularized, it was the time of the VSCO girl trend, I considered myself a VSCO girl at the time, and I will say I was very happy in my little VSCO world. I had a polaroid, and I still do, and it is one of my favorite things I own. I love being able to capture pictures in the moment, and yes, you can get photos on your cell phone, but it isn’t the same! Polaroids are a novelty. People love to have their picture taken and often ask for a polaroid when they see the camera. They always turn out cute even if they are a “bad” picture. I would recommend one to anyone. 

Scrunchies

Something else brought back into modern-day fashion by the VSCO trend is scrunchies, considered “ugly” and “basic.” These were quick to gain traction and then become hidden again. They are better for your hair than a hair tie and are a cute accessory for an outfit. Many people love them, but because of their basic label, they have become less popular. I think if you can match a scrunchie to your outfit, do it! They are cute and healthy for your hair!

Birkenstocks

These are a personal favorite, I know that I love these sandals, you can wear them in the winter with fuzzy socks or in the summer with any item of clothing, and they never fail. They are always comfortable whether you get the on-brand Birks or off-brand from a retail store (I worked at Shoe Department and we have a knock-off version called Cushion Air’s they have more padding than Birkenstocks and are a personal favorite of all the shoe department staff, for 19.99 you can’t beat it.) I love these shoes. They can accomplish any look. My favorite, the granola look, goes hand in hand with these shoes. I would recommend them to anyone.

Airforce 1’s

These shoes quickly became all the rave over the past two years. They are now becoming another basic clothing item. I have heard from many that they no longer want to buy these shoes just because of their basic label. The Airforce ones come in a multitude of colors, the most popular being white. White are the ones that get the bad wrap. As someone who likes white shoes and light colors, I know that I have avoided getting these shoes sole-ly (shoe joke) because they are “basic.” That is one of the most damaging parts of “basic” culture. If you like something, you shouldn’t keep yourself away from it just because others think it isn’t cool. I’ve been trying to tell myself that you have to be comfortable and happy within your own skin.

Hydroflask

I never owned a hydro flask. I had the almost more basic off-brand Walmart version of the water bottle, but honestly, I don’t know how these so quickly got the worst wrap. They are durable, colorful, and hot and cold keeping water bottles that do the job while also looking cute. They do admittedly make a loud sound when you’re walking around and dent when they hit stuff, but I think it’s a small price to pay for a well-working water bottle, and if you like it, have one! They are cute and even cuter when you add stickers, which are also part of “basic” culture. 

Oversized Clothing

Again, VSCO era, this trend of wearing big shirts became extremely popular but quickly got linked to the term VSCO girl and labeled as basic. It has become more widely accepted now..(it is a personal favorite of mine, try layering an oversized shirt over the top of a turtle neck, it’s a cute look), but again I know that I love big shirts; they make me feel more confident. I am quite small, so a lot of my clothes fit a bit big. I always recommend trying the big shirt look to me and many others. It’s super cute. 

Starbucks

Starbucks is the epicenter of “basic girl” culture. Well-beloved (by everyone) pricey coffee drinks are often associated with basic girls. I know that I love coffee, so do most people, well maybe not most but a lot. I don’t often treat myself to the expensive coffee, but I do occasionally get drinks there. They have a wide variety of popular drink items, and they are genuinely always good. My favorite is one of the most basic, but a Carmel Frappuccino never fails to hit the spot. However, I do recommend checking out your local coffee spots too! In Athens I love Brennen’s and Donkey coffee (Brennen’s is my personal favorite!) But one’s basicness should not be derived from where they choose to get their drink!

Everyone is unique. Just because we have overlapping favorites doesn’t make us basic, and even if it does, that shouldn’t be a bad thing. I love the things I love. I want to do them and feel happy no matter if others like the things I love. I say, live your best life, even if it is a basic life, so long as you’re having a good time.

Carly Getter is a Junior in the Communications Sciences and Disorders major at Ohio University with plans to become an audiologist. She loves to read, drink coffee, and love on her bunny Keeto!
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!