Freshman Year: First Semester vs. Second Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The first day of my freshman year had me feeling emotions ranging from excitement to flat-out fear. After making it through my first semester, I realized how many firsts I had actually accomplished in the 5 months since I stepped on campus; first trip to the dining hall, first time in a lecture hall, first time going to a college party, etc. Accomplishing that many firsts, in such a short amount of time, can make you feel overwhelmed. Nothing was better than coming back to campus after a relaxing winter break, and feeling at ease. Just the simple concept of knowing how long it takes to walk across campus makes the world of a difference. Here are a few things that I noticed when starting second semester:

1. It’s a lot harder to notice who the freshman are. Second semester is when we all start to blend in. We understand the unofficial rules and start to come out of our shells.

GIF from Giphy

2. I was able to leave for classes even later than usual because I knew how long it took to walk to class, down to the second. Knowing that the walk from point A to point B takes four minutes as opposed to five, is a huge game changer.

3. I was more comfortable going places alone. I can’t be the only person like this, but when I go somewhere new for the first time I like to be with someone else. It’s comforting to know that if you get lost, there is someone with you to laugh about it. After just one semester I found myself becoming more used to my independence and more comfortable being alone.

4. Knowing your way around campus boosts your confidence. Not having to read a map when your going to the gym or asking strangers where Chipotle is gives you a feeling of accomplishment.

GIF from Giphy

5. Seeing college tours feels very strange. Watching the high school juniors and seniors walk around campus makes me feel oddly old, even though I was in their shoes only a few months ago myself.

If you are a fellow college freshman, then congrats! We’ve made it through our first year. If you are an incoming freshman, then don’t worry. You got this! Freshman year has already been such a great experience and I can’t wait to see what the future holds.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano