Five Tips For Fest Season

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Spring has sprung, and fest season is upon us at Ohio University. Every year in mid-March, students gather at large, day-long parties to enjoy time with friends as the semester comes to an end. The most anticipated fests are held on and named after various streets just minutes off-campus, including Mill, High and Palmer street. If you plan on attending fests this year, here are five tips to help you stay safe and have fun.

1. Stay together.

Fests are crowded, loud and a little wild, so it’s important to plan and prepare. Above all, always stay with your group or at least one other friend. Have a loose plan; it could simply consist of where you are going, with who and how long you plan to stay. Ultimately, you don’t want to worry about anyone else or have anyone worry about you. Sharing locations on your phones, even just for the day, can be a big help if you do get separated.

2. If you plan to drink, be careful.

During fest season, drinking responsibly requires some extra caution. It’s no secret that police and undercover officers have a prominent presence at fests. According to Ohio Revised Code 4301.62, possessing an open container of beer or liquor in any public space is prohibited; this includes BORGs. Also, though the passing of Issue 2 legalized recreational use of cannabis in Ohio, consumption in public is still illegal, and you must be 21-years-old (as with alcohol consumption). Overall, stay off streets and sidewalks if there’s a drink in your hand. If you notice commotion or sense that something is off, gather your group, leave your drinks behind and walk away.

3. Don’t wear your best attire.

There will be big crowds, beer and mud everywhere, so I wouldn’t recommend dressing to impress. Dress how you like, but also for comfort. Pay attention to the weather, since springtime in Ohio can still get chilly. If it is warm and sunny, wear sunscreen. Fanny packs are great for keeping belongings together without having to carry a purse.

4. Don’t do anything you don’t want to do.

Fests are fun, but you don’t have to do it all. A big part of fest culture at Ohio University is starting early, but here’s the good news: if you don’t feel like waking up at 5 or 6 a.m. to indulge in ‘kegs and eggs,’ then you don’t have to. You also don’t have to stay out all day and night. If you struggle with FOMO, you can always plan for the next fest or the next season. The nice part about fests is that they last nearly all-day-long, and there are several of them. This is a fun time of the year, but maintaining work-school-life balance and honoring your boundaries/needs is key.

5. Take it easy.

You can be a party animal, but you’re still human with human needs. Sleep, eat, drink water and pace yourself. If you take care of yourself, you can likely stay out longer, avoid feeling irritable or ill, and have a better time all-around. The best way to fest is to fest responsibly, and value the time you have with your friends now. Who knows where you will all be in just a few years from now, or maybe even a few weeks from now. Enjoy the moment, be present, take care of each other and have a happy fest season.

Lizzi is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. She is from Pittsburgh, PA and enjoys listening to music, thrifting, exercising, collecting vinyl, playing guitar and learning new instruments.