Five Steps To Flawless Dark Lips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Fall is the time for cozy sweaters, bonfires and most importantly, dark lips.  As a makeup lover, I am constantly experimenting with different lipstick colors and application techniques.

We all know that darker colored lipsticks (i.e. red, purple and my personal favorite – berry) can be a challenge to not only put on, but to keep on all day/night. Here is my perfected method for dark lips that last.

(Photo courtesy https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com)

Step One:

Exfoliate! To ensure a smooth lipstick application, slosh off all the dead skin cells from your lips. Exfoliating your lips is just as important as exfoliating your face and body if you’re a frequent lipstick wearer.

Lush makes a great lip exfoliator called Bubblegum Lip Scrub that tastes just as sweet as it sounds!  If you don’t want to spend the extra bucks on a premade scrub, mix some Vaseline with sugar, and you’re good to go! Scrub your lips with this once or twice a week to keep your lips baby smooth.

Step Two:

Hydrate! Once all of the dead skin is removed from your lips, you should nourish them a little extra by applying a lip balm.  Apply the lip balm, and let it soak in while you apply the rest of your makeup.  Once the rest of your face is on, wipe off the excess oil.

If you’re willing to splurge on a lip balm, try the Sugar Lip Treatment, which will without a doubt keep your lips supple. Don’t want to splurge? No problem – Blistex is an old favorite of mine, and plain old Vaseline works wonders.

Step Three:

Line! This step is crucial if you want a crisp, bold lip look. Line your lips with a pencil in the same color family as your lipstick. It doesn’t have to match exactly – for example, a berry toned mauve lip liner could work with a darker berry lipstick. Once the lipstick is on top, it will blend together and shouldn’t alter your lipstick color too much.

(Photo courtesy hercampus.com)

Bonus tip: find a lip liner in a shade identical to your natural lip color. It will make any lipstick you apply on top last longer!

Line and fill in your lips with the liner. Lining your lips will give you the perfect, crisp edge you’re dying for, and filling them in will make the color last way longer on your lips.

Step Four:

Now it’s time for the real deal – apply your lipstick!  If you’re confident in your steady hand, apply the lipstick out of the bullet; if not, use a lip brush for a more precise application.

The key to a beautiful dark lip is to find a shade that is opaque and even. My all-time favorite dark lip is Black Cherry by Revlon – it glides on with no patchiness or streaks.

Step Five:

If you want to mattify and really make your lips last all day, try this last extra step. Blot your lips with a tissue – this will stain the color onto your lips so that as the product itself wears off, there will still be a tinge of color leftover. Then, reapply your lipstick one last time.

After coat number two of lipstick, place one-ply of tissue over your lips. With a brush, dust a light layer of loose powder over your lips through the thin tissue. Once this is finished, your lips should be matte and flawless.

Although these steps may seem extreme to many, your vampy lips will stand out from the crowd. These tricks may take a few extra minutes in the morning, but it will save you time on touch-ups throughout the day.  Many compliments and zero lip imperfections are in your future. 

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!