A Fashion Show With Purpose Is Coming To Ohio University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Human trafficking impacts many people, especially in Ohio. In 2016, there were almost 400 cases of trafficking reported in the state of Ohio, an increase from 289 cases reported in 2015. In fact, Toledo, Ohio, is the fourth largest city in the United States for youth trafficking. This is terrifying, as the majority of victims are only 11 to 14 years old. 

For this reason, a fashion show with a purpose was created to help spread awareness in a creative way. The UNCHAINED fashion show gives students a chance to watch an array of models tell human trafficking stories through the music, spoken-words, hair, make-up and clothing. 

UNCHAINED is a non-profit organization that works to raise awareness about human trafficking. It also empowers victims and audience members who have been affected by human trafficking in one way or another. Harvard University and The Ohio State University are large supporters already. There are over currently 35 shows, and now Ohio University is having the opportunity to host one of their own. 

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018, Ohio University will feature UNCHAINED at 7:00 p.m. in Walter Rotunda. Monetary donations will be accepted at the door upon admission. All donations will be put toward the Overcomer Scholarship Fund. 

It’s very important that college students pay attention to important topics, but they don’t always have to presented in a negative and frightening way. UNCHAINED eliminates the frightening aspect of such a dense topic and truly reaches out to its audience. 

We hope that many people on Ohio University’s campus have the opportunity to attend this event and take away the importance and seriousness of human trafficking. 

For more information, please visit unchainedfashionshow.com or check out their social media platforms to learn more about the purpose, events and importance of this organization and human trafficking awareness. 

Ohio University Class of 2018 Strategic Communications  Just a small town girl with big city dreams