neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall to Winter Layering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The transition from warm autumn days to chilly winter days can be a tough one to handle. In the morning it may be frosty and freezing, and by afternoon it can be warm enough to go outside without a jacket. With a few guidelines, you can master how to layer your clothes so that you will stay comfortable all day long.

1. The Basics

Start out with a fitted, lightweight top. It can have long or short sleeves, but you should stick to a neutral color palette and simple patterns such as stripes or polka dots.

2. Fitted Bottoms

Since you will be wearing several layers on top, you want to keep your bottoms simple and fitted. Pants with a fitted silhouette will contrast well with the thick and loose layers you will be wearing. Leggings, skinny jeans, or shorts paired with tights are great choices for layering.

3. Start Layering

Cardigans, sweatshirts, and chunky sweaters are ideal layering pieces. These tops will keep you warm and cozy, but are easy to slip off if the temperature rises. You can stick to a plain top here, or you can mix it up with prints or graphics.

4. Button Up

When the weather gets colder, you will be wearing outerwear a lot. You can stick to a sleek black coat, or you can play with patterns and bright colors.

5. Put Your Best Foot Forward

Footwear for the fall to winter transition period should keep your feet warm, and should be practical for walking through rain, sleet, or snow. Boots are an ideal choice. Both tall and short boots look great with layers, so wear your favorite style. Another tip: wearing a shoe that is the same or a similar color as your pants makes your legs look longer!

7. Accessorize

Your accessories need to stand out from your layers of clothing. Bold statement necklaces and thick cuff braceletes will pull your outfit together without getting lost. It is also important to stay warm, so cute scarves and knit beanies are great to add to your outfit.

Tweet us (@hercampusohiou) your favorite layering tips, and tag us on Instagram (@hercampusohiou) to show us your layered outfits!

(picture credit: collages created by Paige Bennett on Polyvore)

Paige is a student studying Journalism, Social Media, and Women's Studies at Ohio University. She is actively involved with Her Campus Ohio U and Thread Magazine. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @paige__rochelle (two underscores!)
Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).