DIY Picture in a Frame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.
          After Homecoming, Halloween, Halftime, and other events that have occurred this semester, it is likely you have many new pictures that you’d like to display in your dorm. Unfortunately, you might not have any photo paper, nor do you have a picture frame. Luckily, you can hang all of your college pictures without spending any money.

All you need for this project is regular printer paper, paint or nail polish, and a paintbrush. You can also add miscellaneous items to the “frame” as well. Cardboard or the front or back cover of a magazine is optional for making your photo and frame thicker. It may sound crazy, but soon you will have unique frames to accentuate your photographs.

First, insert your desired picture into a word document. Set the margins according to your preference. I set the ‘Orientation’ to ‘Landscape’ and the ‘Margins’ to ‘Normal.’ You want to be sure you leave room around all sides of the photo in order to be able to create a “frame” later.
          Next, you simply print your picture. Of course, with normal printing paper, the picture will not be glossy as it would be on photo paper. If you want a glossy look, I suggest using a thin layer of clear paint over your photograph, but paint carefully and evenly to avoid streaks. I skipped this step since I had no clear paint on hand.

After printing, you may glue your picture to a piece of cardboard or magazine cover if you so desire. Just be sure to measure the cardboard or magazine cover to make it the same size as the paper (probably 8 ½ inches by 11 inches). I glued mine to a magazine cover with a glue stick and I am pleased with the support the cover gives to the thin printer paper.

Next, it is time to get creative. Paint the white border that surrounds your photo using paint or nail polish. I have no paint, so I used nail polish in pink and orange to match my dorm room. I traced a chevron print and then filled in the lines with nail polish. You can also glue beads, faux gem stones, magazine clippings, or anything else you have lying around your room. I finished my craft by outlining my lines in a magenta Sharpie marker.

Now, instead of spending tons of money on frames and photo paper, you can easily hang your photos while displaying your creative side. With the holidays coming up as well, you could easily make DIY photos in frames to give as gifts for relatives. Happy crafting!

Paige is a student studying Journalism, Social Media, and Women's Studies at Ohio University. She is actively involved with Her Campus Ohio U and Thread Magazine. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @paige__rochelle (two underscores!)
Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.