Life > Experiences

Dealing with the Loss of Being in a Sport When I Got to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Every semester, I used to lace up my white sneakers and place a sparkly bow on top of my head. I was a cheerleader for the basketball team for four years and a football cheerleader for five (totaling nine years) and it didn’t hit me until this semester that I would no longer be a part of the team. Yes, I could have tried out, but I would never have made it considering my skills were average. But, there were ways that I could still connect with the sport that I once loved and adored, and so can anyone else who feels saddened by their loss of an extracurricular.

The first problem I faced was what to do with my time. I joined tons of clubs and activities that would take up the missing part of my heart. My goal was to meet as many new friends as I could.

Another fear of mine was the freshman fifteen. This was the time of year that I worked out constantly and could eat without worrying about gaining. I started going to Ping with all my friends and checked out the cardio dance and Zumba classes.

Besides fearing what to do with myself, I was also disconnected with something that I was so accustomed to. But, I realized that it will always be a part of me, and I can never cast that side away. I can still wear my varsity hoodie and my freshman year carwash t-shirt (even if it’s still too big and I have to wear it as a pajama top). I will still wear my smaller bows to sporting events (because they’re the same colors as OU’s colors). I also realized the benefits of free sporting games. I gathered all of my friends up and forced them to go watch the game and every one after. At least I offered to buy them pizza and popcorn!

GIF: giphy.com

Main photo credit: p3cdn4static.sharpschool.com 

Ohio University Contributor Account