Courtney Baldasare: Big Girl on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Full Name: Courtney Baldasare, a founder of Thread magazine, Editorial Director at ACRN.com
Hometown: West Chester, Ohio
Graduated: March 2011
Major: Magazine Journalism

When did you first start getting involved with on-campus organizations?
My involvement with on-campus organizations started at the very beginning of my freshman year here at Ohio University.

Which were they? Why did you choose these organizations?
For the first two years, I was writing and editing entertainment-related content for Speakeasy magazine before other opportunities more tailored to my taste and studies presented themselves. I then decided to join the founding teams of both ACRN’s Editorial Department and Thread magazine during my junior year and held positions at Southeast Ohio magazine throughout my senior year.

I knew that hands-on experience at these organizations would provide insight I would never be able to gain in the classroom. With a penchant for reporting on music, fashion and other realms of popular culture, I felt that these organizations spoke most to my personal interests and that I would enjoy the work I did. Also, the staff members at all of the aforementioned publications couldn’t have been more supportive and pleasant. Many of them have become my closest friends.

How were you active in these organizations?
I definitely worked from the ground up and covered just about every position on the way. At Speakeasy, I was a writer, the Assistant Entertainment Editor and then the Music Editor. When I joined ACRN, I came on as the Album Reviews Editor and Second Assistant to the Editorial Director, though I’ve always been a writer as well. At the end of last year, I was appointed Editorial Director. I was one of the original founding members at Thread magazine and have been the Who What Wear Editor since its inception. I was appointed Editor-in-Chief of Southeast Ohio magazine my first quarter there and became the Web Consultant for my second quarter.

While I certainly put in my fair share of grunt work, I’m grateful that I had the opportunity to learn the duties of all types of positions. It taught me a great deal of humility as an editor and executive board member of certain organizations, and I’m now able to communicate with other staff members more effectively based on my own past experiences.

How did you make yourself stand out in these organizations?
I would attribute my ability to stand out to my odd personality and wild imagination. Every organization of which I’ve ever been a part has been well aware of my atypical tastes, quirks, even turns of phrase that became part of my signature personality and niche within the organization. I’ve been told that I have the imagination of a 5-year-old, and while that sometimes gets me in trouble, it’s usually a source of useful inspiration and, oftentimes, a good laugh among my colleagues. And, of course, there’s my unwillingness to be halfhearted about anything — that has definitely contributed to my noticeability.

When did you start getting “higher up” editors positions?
I obtained my first editing position at Speakeasy as the Assistant Entertainment Editor. From that point foward, most of the positions I held were some type of editor.

Why did you decide you wanted to be an editor of these publications?
One of the things I love most about journalism is how often there are opportunities to teach and mentor others. I’ve had some incredible teachers in my life — not necessarily academically — that have helped me grow into my own abilities. Professor Cary Frith, current student Jamie Ratermann and alumni Jill Mapes and Jen Kessler set examples for me so lofty that I could only hope to someday become a fraction of the journalists they are and mentors they have always been to me. Their passion made such an impression on me that I wanted to give other young or inexperienced journalists the same guidance I so luckily had. Being an editor/mentor also gives me insight into my own work and functionality as a team player, so I learn just as much teaching as those who are being taught.

How are you able to juggle everything?
… With the help of lots and lots of black coffee.

While that’s definitely true, I also have a sensational supporting staff at every organization in which I’m involved, and they always step up when things get strenuous. I never even have to ask. Aside from campus publications, I’m also an intern at local agency Blackout Booking and a former intern at Billboard magazine in addition to juggling a few retail jobs back home. I think the variety of my involvement keeps me sane as well. I don’t mind juggling if I’m not bored by any of it.

What is the hardest part of being an editor in multiple organizations? Easiest/best part?
Tough question. I would say that the most difficult aspect of being an editor at multiple organizations is understanding that just because some method or idea works for one organization absolutely does not mean that it’s best for another organization. I find myself wanting to implement ideas on some organizations because they work well at others, so I have to pull my head away from the situation and reevaluate it objectively before I make suggestions.

The best part is simply that I get to do what I love and fulfill my passion all day and every day. How many people — especially college students — can say that? I’m so grateful that the organizations in which I’m involved have been incredibly supportive in allowing me to allot my time and energy to other organizations that mean so much to me as well. Because of this, I’ve been able to share my enthusiasm for many different fields with organizations that appreciate that enthusiasm and channel my talent into awesome content production. I haven’t been forced to limit my interests, which I believe is unfortunately the case for far too many writers. I’m one lucky girl, and I’ve promised myself that I will never take that for granted.

How have these publications/organizations prepared you for the “real world?” How has OU/Scripps prepared you for the “real world?”
With so much hands-on experience, I learned more about the basics of journalism and culture writing than I ever thought possible during just my first few months in Athens. Now, after almost four years of such experience, I feel confident enough in myself to take on just about anything. Participating as an ardently involved staff member in any student publication is probably the next best thing to a paid, full-time journalism job. The opportunities that these publications have provided as Scripps organizations are invaluable, and I encourage every OU student — journalism or otherwise — to take advantage.

What advice do you have for younger writers who want to someday be successful/be an editor in an organization?
My advice is relatively concise and as follows: Always listen closely and choose your words wisely. Never compromise yourself, and if your soul and spirit aren’t in it 100%, then find somewhere else to expend your energy. I realize this isn’t step-by-step (or even concrete) advice for becoming an editor or achieving success, but I believe that if you can find yourself following this advice, the rest will find its own way.