Cierra McClure: Hillary for America Fellow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

As the presidential election looms closer, many college students are voicing their political opinions on social media, sporting shirts with candidates’ slogans and debating politics among friends. One of those concerned with the upcoming election is junior, Cierra McClure.

McClure, a junior at Ohio University, is part of a fellowship for Hillary for America.  Right now, she along with the other fellows have been working to register Ohio University students to vote.

“We go to dorms and different events to register people,” McClure said. “We don’t really care what someone’s party affiliation is. We just want people to register.”

The fellowship is comprised of people who want to help elect Hillary Clinton president of the United States of America.

McClure found out about this fellowship by simply inquiring about being a volunteer. She received a phone call from someone asking her to volunteer for the organization and also mentioned that there was an unpaid internship opportunity as well.

As a hospitality major, McClure is not an active member of any political organization on campus, but since this is the first election she is able to vote in, she wanted to get involved.  

“I also love talking to people,” she said with a laugh. “And there is some cool event planning that goes along with this.”

McClure is one of the interns heavily involved in the event planning aspect. She has some big ideas about what kind of events she would like to see happen on Ohio University’s campus.

“There’s a lot of celebrities really for Hillary. For the last election, John Legend went to Ohio State in support of president Obama and so we’re trying to get more people down in Athens this time.”

The organization will also be involved in these events happening at Ohio State University. McClure also mentioned trying to get Clinton herself to visit Athens because when she last visited OU, not many students were in on campus.

For students interested in registering to vote, contact Cierra McClure at cm356514@ohio.edu. Don’t forget to cast your vote this November!

Ohio University Class of 2018 | Psychology major West Virginia native now living in Athens. I love traveling, eating junk food and quoting The Office. You'll probably find me yelling at a TV while watching football. 
Ohio University 2017 Alumna Communication Studies major | Business minor | Social Media certificate Qnary | Client Success Manager Some Good Wine | Event and Marketing Director Delta Zeta Alumna | Public Relations Advisor Her Campus | Chapter Advisor and past Campus Correspondent PRSSA | Mentor Living my best life in NYC.