midnight sun twilight
midnight sun twilight
Courtesy of Samantha Burke / Canva

Caitlin’s Pop of Culture: “Twilight: New Moon”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

A new moon always brings new changes, improvements, growth and supernatural beings. Or, at least that’s what happens in the world of “Twilight.” 

In Stephanie Meyer’s second novel in “The Twilight Saga,” Bella and Edward are living somewhat blissfully post-Bella’s intense encounter with James, the insane tracker vampire that almost killed Bella for sport. That bliss is short-lived when Edward’s brother, Jasper, attacks Bella after a very bloody paper cut. Realizing that a human probably can’t peacefully and safely live with a coven of vampires, Edward ditches Bella, leaving her in a deep state of depression. Bella finds some warmth with family friend and Quileute teen Jacob Black, who is entering into a new phase of life. 

Upon opening this book, I found “New Moon” to be leaps and bounds better than Meyer’s original novel. Meyer is more comfortable in her writing and with her characters. Bella, Edward, and each member of the Cullen clan are fleshed out. Meyer has established a unique cadence for each one, which is a lot better than the first novel’s vague and average conversations. The descriptions are more vivid, and I could feel for the characters and their situations. A real success for any author!

The main highlight of this novel is the addition of Jacob and his fellow werewolves. While I have some reservations supporting Meyer and her exploitation of the real Quileute tribe and Native American stereotypes in general (I can go off on that some other time), I still fell in love with this pack of werewolves. Like Meyer’s beloved vampires, the werewolves have intricate ancient lore to them, and Meyers walks us through the history and the ins and outs of their kind. It’s well developed, and Meyers adds her own spin on things. 

Jacob is our entry point into the world of werewolves. Much like Bella, readers are drawn to Jacob thanks to his sunny disposition and likeability, a perfect fold to the cold and collected Edward. Jacob is passionate and protective, and while he loves Bella, he recognizes that she may never return those feelings. At this point in the series, he seems comfortable remaining in the friend zone. It made me give some mad respect to this guy! I didn’t realize how much younger Jacob was compared to our other protagonists, which sometimes shows in his decisions, but, like Bella, I ended up forgetting a bit how perfect Edward is and how perfect Jacob and Bella could be. 

While I know many questioned Meyer’s choice to keep Edward out of the picture for most of the story and thus developing the saga’s iconic love triangle, I think it was the right decision for Bella’s character development. On the surface, it seems like Bella is hopping from guy to guy, keeping her identity in her relationship with her suitors. But, I think a more in-depth look reveals that it is Bella’s opportunity to explore what she could give up if she turns into a vampire. It also serves as a way to prove that she and Edward are meant to be. She realizes there is another life and other people out there for her, but her soul longs for Edward. Are there better ways to go about this? Uh, yeah, but this is “Twilight,” and no one, besides maybe Carlisle, thinks logically! 

Just because I empathize and see Bella’s perspective, do not think for a minute I still don’t find this girl stupid. I mean, she spends most of the novel being an adrenaline junkie by riding motorcycles and jumping off cliffs just so she can hear Edward’s voice again. Aren’t there safer ways?! Of course, this all bites her in the butt when Alice shares her visions with Edward, and he thinks his love killed herself. Meyer still has her signature cheesiness in her storyline, but she makes it work and makes it believable. 

The film adaptation in “New Moon” also received some much-needed growth. Like the first, Melissa Rosenberg’s script is true to its source material. The script is less cringy as well and moves at a much more comfortable pace. Her dialogue seems more natural, more real and better suited to her cast. 

Catherine Hardwicke does not return as director here (praise the Lord!), and Chris Weitz (the man behind the 2015 “Cinderella” live-action and the “American Pie” franchisee…diverse, I know) takes the reins. I liked Weitz’s direction a lot better than Hardwicke’s. Weitz decided to implement more warm tones in its cinematography, and makes for a more visually appealing film. He also does a lot better in the action scenes, mostly because he actually creates action scenes, an area where Hardwicke was lacking. 

Thanks to a better script, the cast’s performances improved as well. Kristen Stewart has excellent engagement as an actress, and it helps especially in “New Moon.” What could’ve easily been turned into a mopey teen, Stewart takes Bella’s depression and makes it believable. Stewart is more human in this film, and her acting chops are what carry the film. She provides an emotional depth that helps drive the plot forward, especially when Bella and Edward meet with the Volturi

The disappearance of Edward means there is little screen time for everyone’s beloved, chaotic actor Robert Pattinson, but Taylor Lautner’s Jacob Black fills that hole. Like the book version of Jacob, Lautner is exceptionally likable. He has the boyish looks and swagger down pat. He very easily balances Jacob’s intense feelings on both sides of the spectrum, his passionate love and desire for Bella or his hot-headed rage and anger. Still, I noticed Lautner to be a very stiff actor. His performance often straddled the line of naturalism and forced. One thing Lautner is good at, though, is taking off his shirt…. Let’s just say ten-year-old me knew talent when she saw it. 

So, is “New Moon” on the same level as “The Godfather Part II?” Heck no! Probably everyone involved in this film recognized that, but you can tell that “The Twilight Saga” is heading in a more serious direction by taking the source material seriously and creating a film that is less of a laughing stock than its predecessor.

Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!