This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

With the holidays in full swing, there is much to be thankful for. Of course, I’m thankful for my dear friends and family, but I’m also thankful for the plethora of entertainment content coming our way this season. Between the theatres and new streaming platforms, there is a lot to take in, and I have to admit, I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. Nevertheless, I must push forward. Here is what I gobbled up this November: 

TV Shows

“Insatiable” Season 2

This Netflix original took a lot of heat upon its release, but I enjoyed the first season and found it had a lot more depth than what its trailer initially perceived. Of course, the true test of a show is its follow up, and “Insatiable” takes a major face plant here. The show picks up where season one ended with Patty (Debby Ryan) having to find a way to cover up her deadly accidents and taking her lawyer/pageant coach Bob Armstrong (Dallas Roberts) along for the ride. Patty must also battle her fellow pageant rivals to win Miss American Lady, a title that she believes will give her a new lease on life. Even with its controversial storyline, season one of “Insatiable” was still able to provide a consistent and clear storyline, something season 2 cannot do. While this second season does a great job of tying loose ends, its new plotlines are messy and just plain weird and wacky. What does save this show from complete failure are the small messages, like racial identity and eating disorders, it plants in a few episodes. To put it simply, “Insatiable” does not do it for me anymore and has now become a show that is so far out there, it’s ridiculous. 

Rating: D+

“The Crown” Season 3

After a two year hiatus, my favorite show has returned for a third round. This award-winning Netflix original follows the one true queen, Queen Elizabeth II, her family, and other British officials during her sixty-some years as a British monarch. This season, newly minted Olivia Colman has taken the reins from the brilliant Claire Foy, and she does not disappoint. Colman plays middle-aged Elizabeth with the grace and wisdom required but still keeps the same poise that Foy established in the earlier seasons. The other replacements, like Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret, continue the legacy of their predecessors, but their performances are nowhere as near dynamic as the originals. Plot-wise, this season falls flat. The narrative moves slower compared to the first two, and its episodes uncovering characters are not as appealing or earth-shattering. Most of the drama is held for the latter half of the season, and it does not do too much to make up for the lost time. Nevertheless, “The Crown” is still a spectacle to behold, and I’m sure with more time and acting adjustments, the show will regain its footing. 

Rating: B

Movies:

“Toy Story 4”

The toys are back in town! Just when you think Disney is done milking this iconic Pixar franchise, they have found a way to squeeze a bit more out of it. This fourth installment follows the toys, who are now in the care of Bonnie. One day at school, Bonnie creates Forky (Tony Hale), a fork with a few crafty items added. With Bonnie attached to Forky and Forky trying to figure out his place in Bonnie’s world, Woody (Tom Hanks) makes it his mission to keep Bonnie happy and Forky on the right path. Along the way, Woody runs into his old flame, Bo Peep, and he and Forky are taken on a new, exciting journey. I rolled my eyes when Disney announced this sequel. I think the franchise ended on a perfect note with its third film, and there really isn’t a reason to carry on. But, Disney has found a way to make it work. “Toy Story 4” is best viewed as an epilogue, and Disney has found a profound, intelligent approach to again show life’s emotions and milestones through a set of beloved toys. As always, this one is a tearjerker, so make sure to have tissues on hand. 

Rating: A+

“Yesterday”

It seems we have reached an age in Hollywood where music-based films and biopics are king. “Yesterday” is a creative take on this genre using music from the iconic group, The Beatles. The film follows Jack Malik (Himesh Patel), a struggling musician who has given up hope of any success. His luck seems to change after a freak worldwide power outage leaves him as the only one who can remember the Beatles ever existed. Using this to his advantage, Jack, alongside his best friend, played by the always adorable Lily James, begins to record the tracks on his own, which leads to British invasion level results. While the concept is interesting, the script does not delve deep into the repercussions of this event but instead tries to sell the typical cautionary tale of fame. Its major selling point is, of course, the music, but it’s also the cuteness that is James and Patel. Unfortunately, those surrounding the couple don’t support them as well as they should. Ed Sheeran is, well, Ed Sheeran and gives a very wooden performance. The usually brilliantly quick-witted Kate McKinnon falls into stereotypes. The plot also stalls at points and can’t be saved by the film’s bright spots. Overall, “Yesterday” is a cute, charming rom-com set to some Beatles music. 

Rating: C+

“The Lion King” (2019)

Now, I’m a supporter of the Disney live-action movement. There have been some solid remakes, and even if they weren’t the best, they at least were entertaining. But I will say that this movie SUCKED! This remake follows the original very closely, save for a few lines and musical numbers, and does not add anything or improve on anything that the 1994 classic already did. I get that the production was supposed to be more “realistic,” which leads me to ask three questions; Does everything have to be realistic? Can we not just escape and use our imagination? And, realistically, do real lions in the African savannah plot Hamlet-style murder plots? The answers are no, no, and no. Yes, the cast does have big names, including Queen Bey herself, Childish Gambino (a.k.a Donald Glover), and Billy Eichner. Still, the effort they have put into this film is nowhere to be seen thanks to the fact that the CGI animals lack any depth or emotion needed to carry this film. While some are calling for Oscars for Billy Eichner as Timon and Beyonce’s work as Nala and as a songwriter, I simply ask why? Eichner did not do anything that blew me away as Timon, and while he may be one of the film’s shining aspects, he did mediocre work at best. And, don’t get me wrong, I love Beyonce, but she bore me here, and her original song does not have me wanting to hand her an Oscar. Queen Bey deserves better! If she wins an Oscar, let it be for something more worthwhile than this hot mess of a movie. Overall, this film should’ve not been made in the first place. Between the original animated classic and the beautiful, imaginative Broadway musical, we have two good, chill-inducing adaptations. 

Rating: D

“Election”

Before there was Ryan Murphy’s “The Politician,” there was “Election.” This film follows the ambitious, conniving Tracey Flick (a young Reese Witherspoon), who is determined to win her high school presidential election and begin her journey of becoming a powerful American woman. Seeing a lifetime of torture and pain ahead for a world with Tracey Flick in power, popular history teacher Jim McAllister (Matthew Broderick) takes matters into his own hands and does what he can to manipulate the school’s elections. What carries this film is Witherspoon’s and Broderick’s acting and the script. Witherspoon brilliantly plays Tracey as a clever, determined individual, and her performance helps this screwball comedy’s lines flow. Broderick does the same but also does an excellent job of balancing the complicated character that is Jim. “Election” is a fun, off-beat comedy that features excellent character work. 

Rating: B

“Thelma and Louise”

“Thelma and Louise” is an iconic movie for two reasons: all the girl power and the introduction to Brad Pitt. This film follows tied-down housewife Thelma (Geena Davis) and the sassy waitress Louise (Susan Sarandon), who are best friends. But, after what was supposed to be a fun fishing trip turns deadly, the two women start on a wild west journey trying to flee the law. Sure, seeing a young Brad Pitt in all his perfect, blonde glory is great, but the execution of the story is even greater. Although this film is directed by Ridley Scott, a man, “Thelma and Louise” does not try to dumb down or mansplain any part of this story. Here, the women are not questioned, and they are not belittled by the plot. Instead, the movie is directed the same way as any Hollywood western and is also used as a device to put female liberation on full display. 

Rating: A

“The Aviator”

So, I’ve never been the greatest Leo DiCaprio fan. I often thought he was a bit overrated, but after seeing his latest work in “Once Upon A Time in Hollywood,” my mind and heart have changed. Thus sending me into a deep, dark spiral that is otherwise known as DiCaprio craze. Anyway, this has lead me to watch this underrated performance of his. This Martin Scorcese directed film follows the life of real-life billionaire and aviator Howard Hughes (DiCaprio). What seems like a basic biopic turns into a gripping character study into Hughes, who suffered from OCD and major phobias. This is where the movie and DiCaprio shines. Here, DiCaprio gives one of his most compelling performances, and this role shows the intricacy of his craft. Beyond that, the film is a tad too long, which causes drag, but it also has some stunning shots crafted by Scorcese. “The Aviator” is an excellent movie for anyone, especially those who have run down their DVD copies of “Romeo + Juliet” and “Titanic.” 

Rating: B-

“The Nutcracker and the Four Realms”

As I said, it’s the holiday season, and movies are the perfect way to get in a holly jolly mood. This movie is not it. Based upon the classic Christmas ballet “The Nutcracker,” this version follows young Clara as she searches for a key that will open a gift her late mother gave her. Her journey takes her into an alternate universe, where she meets Phillip, a nutcracker soldier, and the regents that preside over the four realms. But, not everything is gumdrops and sugar plums, and it’s up to Clara and her new friends to create peace in the realm. Like most reimaginations of Tchaikovsky’s ballet, this adaptation fails to capture or follow the sweetness and innocence that the original holds and instead decides to push its own agenda. Also, this remake fails to convey any sort of plot, and the storyline that is there is predictable and nowhere near worthwhile. Here is yet another passable, blase Christmas film. When will filmmakers realize there are only two acceptable “Nutcracker” adaptations: the original and the classic animated Barbie one?

Rating: D

“Interview With the Vampire”

Spooky season is over, but I needed a nice scare after the mixed variety of films from this past month. “Interview With the Vampire” is an adaptation of Anne Rice’s classic horror novel about 18th-century lord Louis (another appearance by Brad Pitt) who has now spent 200 years as a vampire and is willing to share his life with a young reporter (Christian Slater). Louis charts his time with his companion Lestat (Tom Cruise) and his beloved companion/daughter Clarice (a young Kirsten Dunst). Just like Cruise’s Lestat says in the film, Louis just loves to brood and boy, is it boring. What appears to be a three-dimensional character is dumbed down by Pitt, and he can’t seem to carry the weight of this film by himself. Cruise, on the other hand, is delighted to be in his villainous role and has much more appeal as Lestat than Pitt’s Louis. Dunst is also in top form here and plays the complexity of Clarice with top-notch flair. This movie also drags. This two-hour romp seems to go on and on without much plot, except for a few moments of dramatic flair. Where the pacing falls flat, the visually enriching scenery and costuming pick up. Overall, this vampire flick is a drag that does not live up to its potential. To be honest, you’d have a better time watching “Twilight”. 

Rating: C-

Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!