Caitlin’s Pop of Culture: Golden Globes 2021 Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Award season, that is! While COVID has delayed the season’s start, the annual award season will be kicking off this Sunday with the Golden Globes. With an unusual year comes an unusual set of nominees, and I’ve picked some of the most competitive categories to judge potential winners. Keep scrolling for who I think might be taking home some hardware this year!

Best Motion Picture — Drama

The Father

Mank

Nomadland

Promising Young Woman

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Caitlin’s Winner: “Nomadland.” This film has been gaining some solid Oscar buzz for some time, and often a Golden Globe win sets up the winners for the grand finale, the Oscars. But Aaron Sorkin has been a Globes favorite, and his “The Trial of the Chicago 7” could easily win as well.

Best Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Hamilton

Music

Palm Springs

The Prom

Caitlin’s Winner: “Hamilton.” While I can’t understand how a filmed Broadway musical qualifies for the Golden Globes, I’ll let it slide because “Hamilton” is an incredible show, and 2020 was just weird. There’s plenty of solid musicals or comedies in this category. But, I’m pretty sure the Hollywood Foreign Press will play into the second wave of “Hamilton” fanaticism. 

Best Actor in a Motion Picture — Drama

Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal

Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Anthony Hopkins, The Father

Gary Oldman, Mank

Tahar Rahim, The Mauritanian

Caitlin’s Winner: Chadwick Boseman. “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” is not only Boseman’s final film but also his masterclass in acting. Boseman has gained steady buzz as the frontrunner in the Best Actor category, but the Globes could stray from the path and choose another one of these talented men.

Best Television Series — Drama

The Crown

Lovecraft Country

The Mandalorian

Ozark

Ratched

Caitlin’s Winner: “The Crown.” The Best TV Drama category is always a tight race, but it is especially close this season. Each of these series has made a cultural impact and includes strong ensemble performances, but I’m choosing “The Crown.” The Netflix show is usually an Emmy and Golden Globes darling and season four was the strongest yet. But, my research has found that there could be a surprise “Ratched” win. While the show did not gain many favorable reviews, the Globes really do eat up whatever Ryan Murphy seems to dish out.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series — Drama

Olivia Colman, The Crown

Jodie Comer, Killing Eve

Emma Corrin, The Crown

Laura Linney, Ozark

Sarah Paulson, Ratched

Caitlin’s Winner: Emma Corrin. As I previously stated, season four of “The Crown” was its greatest yet. Part of that is because of Corrin’s emotional and exhilarating performance as the beloved Princess Diana. The Globes also have a history of anointing new talent, and Corrin’s performance and character are the epitome of an acclaimed newcomer. 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Cate Blanchett, Mrs. America

Daisy Edgar-Jones, Normal People

Shira Haas, Unorthodox

Nicole Kidman, The Undoing

Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen’s Gambit

Caitlin’s Winner: Anya Taylor-Joy. Another runaway Netflix hit in 2020 was “The Queen’s Gambit.” A Taylor-Joy win would be well-deserved considering it is her vulnerable yet somewhat restrained performance is what carries and makes the show. Still, the Globes love to pick with the unexpected, so I could also see Daisy Edgar-Jones taking the prize for her completely vulnerable performance in “Normal People.”

Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!