jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Best ANGRY Breakup Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

You have eaten three tubs of ice cream, spent hours crying, gone through old pictures and have debated adopting another cat. You have finished sadness, the first stage of breakup grief, you have played all your depressing heartbreak music. Well, wipe off those tears and start this playlist for the next phase, anger. Here are songs to blare in your car and sing at the top of your lungs.

Song: Gives You Hell

Artist: The All-American Rejects

Year: 2008

Runtime: 3:37

This song makes people angry even when they have no one to be angry at. Scream this and tell whoever hurt you that you are doing just fine without them. The best line to sing at the top of your lungs and remind yourself that you are better than your ex is the second chorus when the beat drops;

“When you see my face

Hope it gives you hell

Hope it gives you hell.”

Song: IDGAF

Artist: Dua Lipa

Year: 2018

Runtime: 4:01

Dua Lipa perfectly captures your feelings after a breakup when the other person tries to apologize and you just don’t care. The best lyric to remind yourself how much you want to tell your ex to screw off;

“Now you’re all in the past

You talk all that sweet talk, but I ain’t comin’ back

Cut you off

I don’t need your love”

Song: Best Thing I Never Had

Artist: Beyoncé

Year: 2011

Runtime: 4:14

No one is more sassy and confident than Beyoncé. Take her advice and remind yourself daily that you are the best thing they will never have again, and a breakup is not your loss but theirs. Turn up your volume and blare these lyrics;

“Lord knows that it would take another place

Another time, another world, another life

Thank God I found the good in goodbye.”

Song: Since You Been Gone

Artist: Kelly Clarkson

Year: 2004

Runtime: 3:35

This is one of Kelly Clarkson’s most iconic songs, and one of Clarkson’s first major successes. Even if you are not currently going through a breakup this song is hard to listen to without feeling angry or jubilant. Plug in the AUX cord and scream these lyrics because you are better off solo;

“Shut your mouth, I just can’t take it

Again, and again, and again, and again.”

Song: Don’t

Artist: Ed Sheeran

Year: 2014

Runtime: 3:40

“Don’t” is the breakup song of our generation, about two people hooking up who might not be officially together but have feelings for each other. Play this song on blast because you do not need a title in a relationship to deserve respect. Angrily yell along with Sheeran when he says;

“Don’t f**k with my love

That heart is so cold”

Song: Picture to Burn

Artist: Taylor Swift

Year: 2006

Runtime: 2:54

This song is a breakup anthem for all the girls screwed over by boys who do not deserve them. You will share Swift’s resentful attitude and the twangy guitar is perfect to yell along with. This is a classic Swift song from her first-ever album and the lyric’s angst is real;

“If you’re missing me,

You’d better keep it to yourself

‘Cause coming back around here

Would be bad for your health.”

Song: Changing of the Seasons

Artist: Two Door Cinema Club

Year: 2012

Runtime: 3:21

“Changing of the Seasons” is a song with a good beat and a nice way of saying screw you to your ex. You are going to get over your ex and forget them one day. Remind yourself of this fact with lyrics like this;

“And I’ve worn out all the reasons

To keep on knocking at your door

Could be the changing of the seasons

But I don’t love you anymore.”

Song: Thinking of You

Artist: Kesha

Year: 2012

Runtime: 3:05

Kesha holds nothing back in this song, and she lets whoever screwed her over know that she is doing much, much better without them. Get up and yell along to these lyrics because, just like Kesha, you are better off without whoever did you wrong;

“I know I said I wouldn’t talk about you publicly but

That was before I caught you lying and cheating on me, slut.”

Song: Forget You

Artist: CeeLo Green

Year: 2010

Runtime: 3:41

“Forget You” is a great song to remind you that you are good enough for anyone, and if someone tells you otherwise, forget them. Turn up the volume for these lyrics and remind yourself sometimes you just have to let people go;

“I’ve got some news for you

Ooh I really hate your ass right now.”

Song: Before He Cheats

Artist: Carrie Underwood

Year: 2006

Runtime: 3:19

This song is about a man that messed up big time, but Carrie Underwood isn’t crying, she is getting revenge. Instead of taking this song too literally and ending up in jail, use this song to express your anger over men who are trash, with lyrics like these;

“I might have saved a little trouble for the next girl

‘Cause the next time that he cheats

Oh, you know it won’t be on me!”

Emma Kennedy

Ohio U '20

Emma is from Columbus, Ohio and is now a journalism student at Ohio University. She enjoys spending time outdoors, painting, reading, listening to music and being surrounded by animals.