Adventures in Pinterest: Stenciled Pillow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

I’ve always been jealous of anyone who was naturally creative or crafty, and I’d like to think the Martha Stewart side of me has never been able to reach her full potential. So when the chance came up to try out a different recipe or craft from Pinterest every week, I jumped at the idea. For those unaware, Pinterest is basically a virtual bulletin board, allowing you to post anything you find beautiful or inspiring on your own page, while also sharing your “pins” with others.

For my first week I decided it would be best to try something simple, so when I saw the pin of a stenciled pillow I knew I had to try it. The pillow online was smaller, but because I don’t have any little pillows and I’m on a college-girl budget, I decided to use a normal size pillowcase. The quote I chose was “With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?” by Oscar Wilde.

Here is what you need to get started:  

-a pillowcase
-fabric markers
-letter stencils
-piece of flat cardboard
-a pencil

1.     Use the cardboard to slide into the pillowcase so the markers don’t bleed through.
2.     Use the pencil to draw in your quote.

3.     After you’ve finished your quote, color it in with the markers! I did what the site said and outlined my letters with the marker and then filled them in.

Good luck!

Jessica Salerno is a senior Magazine Journalism major at Ohio University and originally from Westerville, Ohio. In addition to writing for Her Campus Jessica also writes for the Her Campus Ohio University Branch and plays club soccer. She has an obsession with online shopping and candy, and loves to hang out with her family. Jessica hopes one day to have a career in online or magazine journalism.