8 Ways To Proactively Buy Presents During The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

While absolutely crazy to say, as of November 1st, I am just about done with buying presents for the holidays aside from some small items I’ll pickup during the season. While this is hard to achieve, I wanted to share my tips on how I was able to complete this crazy feat while also being a college student.

Plan ahead

As a college student, check when you’ll be heading home for the holidays to see how much time you’ll have to shop. Also, plan if you want to ship anything bought online home or bring it home with you from school.

Make a list

I strongly believe that a list can solve just about any problem. Make a list of everyone you need to shop for and ideas of what you want to get them. Once you begin shopping, make a new list of exactly what you got someone so you don’t forget.

Avoid excess

Don’t overdo it when it comes to buying gifts. Limit yourself so you don’t overbuy or overgive in excess. Creating your list of what you got someone will help you limit your spending.

Make a budget

Decide how much you want to spend on each person you’re shopping for and don’t overdo it. This is super important as a college student who earns only so much from their job.

Look outside the box

Don’t feel like you have to get something that’s on someone’s wish list. Think outside the box and find something fun or unique to get them that they’ll love just as much.

Utilize online shopping

If you’re at school, and if it’s anything like Ohio University, you only recently got a Marshall’s! If this is the case, use online shopping to your advantage. Finish your holiday shopping from the comfort of your bed.

Don’t pass up a deal

Just because it’s early doesn’t mean you have to say no to a great deal. That BOGO sale, free customizations or free shipping isn’t going to last the entire holiday season so get those gifts early.

Take advantage of sale dates

Keep an eye on Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale days to get the best bang for your buck.

Hopefully, these 8 tips will help you conquer holiday shopping this year!

A senior at Ohio University, Hannah Moskowitz is majoring in the news and information journalism track at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. During her time there, she is president, campus correspondent and writes for Her Campus. In her free time, she writes for her personal blog: www.hannahmeetsworld.com. When she's not writing, she loves to paint, hammock with friends and take care of her plants.