6 Things You Should Know Before Getting Your First Tattoo Or Piercing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

There are multiple things I wish people would have told me before getting my first tattoo or piercing. Going through the process can be scary but hopefully, these tips and tricks can help you out.

Beforehand

A common thought before getting a tattoo is to take some form of pain medication beforehand, don’t do this. Medicines like that can thin your blood making your tattoo experience a lot worse. They will make you bleed a lot more and will make the healing process hurt a lot worse too. 

Eating before getting a tattoo or piercing is also important. I know it might not be the thing you want to do if you’re nervous, but you don’t want to get so nervous you pass out. Eat something light like toast or a sandwich.

Pain

Everyone feels pain differently. Googling and looking up how bad a tattoo or piercing is going to hurt isn’t worth it. You’re going to get a bunch of results that are all over the place. Some people are going to say it was a 10/10 on the pain scale and others are going to say it was a 1/10. It just depends on the person and how well they handle pain. Don’t stress about the pain part, it’s only temporary, so focus on how cute you’re going to look when it’s done. If you are sensitive to pain just know to focus on your breathing. Taking deep breaths will help calm you down and make you a lot less nervous.

Swimming

When you get a tattoo you can’t swim in a pool for a minimum of 2 weeks. You also can’t swim in a lake, ocean or even take baths. I had no knowledge of this rule when I got my tattoo, and I got my first tattoo on my foot during the summer. It was the most inconvenient thing. You can, of course, wrap your tattoo and cover it to make sure it doesn’t get exposed to the sun, dirt or chlorine in the water. Make sure to plan ahead and be aware of this when you start planning on getting your tattoo. You don’t want to get stuck on vacation with a wrapped up foot, not being able to swim. You want to be able to show off your cute new tattoo.

Cleaning Your Piercing

Do not take the cleaning rules lightly. When you get a piercing you have to clean it 2-3 times a day for about 4-6 weeks. This might sound like a lot, but it’s worth it. You just paid to have it done, so make sure you keep it looking nice. Infected piercings are such a hassle and can end up with you having to take them out. You can normally buy a cleaning solution at the piercing place, or you can use soap and water. Just put the solution, or soap and water, on a Q-tip and run it around and over the piercing. The whole cleaning process takes about a minute and will keep your piercing looking great for years!

Cleaning Your Tattoo

Cleaning a tattoo can be more of a hassle, than cleaning a piercing, especially if it’s in a complicated place. You have to use fragrance-free and alcohol-free soap to wash the area. When you’re done make sure to apply Aquaphor lotion (the product above) on top of it. They sometimes sell cleaning solution at the tattoo place, but if not it’s easy to pick up. Make sure to wash and moisturize your tattoo 2-3 times a day for 3-6 weeks. If your tattoo is on your foot make sure to cover it up for the first few days so it doesn’t rub against your shoes. These easy steps will ensure that your tattoo doesn’t fade and will keep it looking perfect!

They’re Addicting!

Once you’ve gotten your first tattoo or piercing out of the way, you’re going to want more. They’re a way to express yourself and look amazing! Getting your first tattoo or piercing can be scary, but in the end, you’ll love the whole experience and be giving other people advice about them too!

As I said, I am no expert on tattoos and piercings, but this is what I wish I would have known before getting my first one. It’s smart to do your research and know all the facts before deciding to get one. I hope this post helped ease your stress a little if you’re thinking about getting one and remember to just go for it and have fun!

Courtney Davis is a senior at Ohio University majoring in English with a minor in journalism. Courtney is a writer for Her Campus and volunteers with Relay for Life. In her free time, she loves to read and is an aspiring lifestyle blogger.